Best anti-LS SBC for a street car?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Monzsta
Re: Best anti-LS SBC for a street car?

Post by Monzsta »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:25 pm
RAS wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:16 pm I'm a big Pontiac fan. If cost was no object I'd do a Billet Block with a set of Visner Symmetrical port heads. If cost was an issue, probably a 9.2 deck ford 427 with a set of Kaase P38 heads. Still the LS is king and will be for a long time.
It seems that almost every time an LS and a Gen III Hemi are run against each other using equal preparation, the LS comes out on the short end of the power stick.
The Gen III Hemis have great ports and big valves out of the box. Not to mention being a, well, a hemi. That's not just a branding schtick. The Apache 6.4l Hemi heads can hit 340/241 cfm in/ex stock, and they start moving over 300 cfm at .400 lift. That's a tough act to follow
splitdecision71

Post by splitdecision71 »

Monzsta wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:48 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:25 pm
RAS wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:16 pm I'm a big Pontiac fan. If cost was no object I'd do a Billet Block with a set of Visner Symmetrical port heads. If cost was an issue, probably a 9.2 deck ford 427 with a set of Kaase P38 heads. Still the LS is king and will be for a long time.
It seems that almost every time an LS and a Gen III Hemi are run against each other using equal preparation, the LS comes out on the short end of the power stick.
The Gen III Hemis have great ports and big valves out of the box. Not to mention being a, well, a hemi. That's not just a branding schtick. The Apache 6.4l Hemi heads can hit 340/241 cfm in/ex stock, and they start moving over 300 cfm at .400 lift. That's a tough act to follow
I would have to agree. I had a 2016 Ram Crew cab that I played around with. Most LS trucks that tried to keep up with it had cam, heads, headers, tune and still had a hard time keeping up with just my bolt ons, tuned, stock manifolds, single exhaust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

Fact of the matter is the LS Engine Platform is a Billion dollar industry. It literally supports the entire aftermarket industry. As good as the Dodge Hemi is it hasn't the following in the aftermarket and isn't likely to gain any soon. Volume is the key to the LS popularity. By putting it in so many vehicles GM created another monster. I still wish they would do a Siamese bore 6.0 block for the same price.
68rs406
Pro
Pro

Post by 68rs406 »

dannobee wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:02 pm Here's one ready to go that's not an LS.

What's your budget?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nascar-Chevy-S ... SwHIlen0pf
Thats what I went with.... :D

Well, not quite like that one. Mine is a 3.25"x 4.155" SB2.2, 9:1 compression. It runs really well, docile enough to cruise but not intimidated by an LS... I'm not deep in it with dollars either, definitely less than 10k complete in car (headers were almost 2k....).

I know what the OP is saying, there are some that think the sun rises and falls on the LS, my contention is they are all internal combustion. The LS is a great package and has a huge advantage in modern heads and being a turn key fuel injected computer controlled package from a donor car. Good power, clean burning and reliable.
Sean