This can be dangerous

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
Re: This can be dangerous

Post by Dan Timberlake »

It's interesting they chose to use several boxes full of cross style tire wrenches for secondary containment
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

The tire looks fine.

Looks like the rim failed.
Ed
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Nowhere near this but several times I have been near our loaded trailer when suddenly a sidewall will explode -- about as loud as a shotgun blast. The tires have little wear but tire rot sets in.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I twitched when that train horn went off. :lol:
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

exhaustgases wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:12 pm Okay for the airing up, but what if it decides to go while installing it?
But drivers will drive along side feet away, for miles on end, of a fully load 18 wheeler semi, in the heat, doing 70mph, windows open,

but not me.

Its also my belief often reported "explosions" during a large truck fire, are merely tires letting go, adding a lot fury and a of 02 to the fire.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I own heavy equipment and those rims are dangerous. What they don't explain is they use a split rim design to hold tire on. Alot of tecs have be killed when trying to set bead on rim. U have to pressure up and push the very thick bead out. There is a backing plate against bead and small ring that snaps into place in rim. If that ring slips you see results. That cage is for the tire guy setting up and likely so rim mfg can test rim strength. On a 320 ton coal hauler if ring fails I've seen them nearly take off cab of pickup.
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

j-c-c wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:21 pm
But drivers will drive along side feet away, for miles on end, of a fully load 18 wheeler semi, in the heat, doing 70mph, windows open
More than once I have given my wife shit for doing just that.
Years ago I worked in a Fleetwood factory building travel trailers. We had a trailer come in for repairs. It was beside a rig when one of the trailer tires decided to let go. Ripped it open like it was made of paper. They had to rebuild the entire side of the trailer. Even the cabinets were trashed.

Welding on a wheel with the tire installed can also result in an explosion similar to the video in the original post.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

The tecs typically use a vise grip or a locking device to hold the ring down in groove. If it slips look out. The newer bud style rims are better like trucks use. But on bigger wheeled equipment the ring style is only way you can mount those big tires.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Split rims are dangerous as all get out. In the early '60s, they were quite common. Had a friend in high school. His family ran an Exxon station on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio. His older brother was mounting a truck tire with a split rim and it blew apart. He lived, but it fractured his skull and when he healed up, it left him with one eye higher than the other.

Only other guy in town who had that problem wrapped a chain around a tree stump when he was younger and tried to pull it out of the ground with a tractor. Tractor turned over backwards on him and crushed his skull. I remember he drove a big champagne gold '57 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr hardtop with the 392 hemi and factory dual quads. Had the front torsion bars cranked up and load leveler helper springs in back to stiffen the suspension. Drove it like a bat outta hell on those narrow, winding roads up in the Texas hill country. But then, we all drove that way.

Best regards,

Harry
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

We do some dangerous this and when we walk beside an air compressor every day in our lives we think nothing of it. If we stopped to figure the odds we would get an office job.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

tresi wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:34 am We do some dangerous this and when we walk beside an air compressor every day in our lives we think nothing of it. If we stopped to figure the odds we would get an office job.
oh HELL no. Might get a paper cut.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

It helps to drain the water out of the tank more often than "never"!