1990 chevy 1500 No Tail lights.

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
1990 chevy 1500 No Tail lights.

Post by econo racer »

My 90 model chevy 1500 has no tail lights. Did not when I bought it.so never leaves the yard. Has a burnt valve at 301K. Brake pedal hard. Might be from bad vacuum from the valve. But here is where I get lost. Has 2 complete new tail light assemblies. No brake lights. no backup lights, No tail lights period. So I check for voltage back there. Nothing. All fuses good. I am not putting a new motor in until this is fixed 1st. Whats a man to do #-o [-o<
BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: 1990 chevy 1500 No Tail lights.

Post by BillK »

econo racer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:42 am Whats a man to do ??
Get a service manual with a wiring diagram and figure it out ???
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
rfast racing

Post by rfast racing »

BBB industries has a lot of free wiring diagrams and tsbs you can sign up for a free account
406shark

Post by 406shark »

Most trucks have a harness at the rear that plugs into a harness that runs from the front to the back. Check for where the harness plugs in at the rear. Unplug it and test again for power at the connector. Could be unplugged, could have bad connection, could be unplugged further up front. I'm not familiar with that year, but my old '06 1500 had a problem at the rear connector.

Jeff
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

As soon as I get a free rack that is where the problem could be. Some hack has been in there :shock: Thanks Shark.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Any time I see a pickup with rear lighting issues, I can trace it to where someone used "vampire taps" to add trailer wiring, and the wiring has corroded all to hell.

It's also usually in a giant wad of electrical tape, which mostly serves to collect and store moisture for faster wire destruction.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

peejay wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:18 am Any time I see a pickup with rear lighting issues, I can trace it to where someone used "vampire taps" to add trailer wiring, and the wiring has corroded all to hell.

It's also usually in a giant wad of electrical tape, which mostly serves to collect and store moisture for faster wire destruction.
Exactly! This is unfortunately very common on pickups. Corroded bulb sockets is also common.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

travis wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:48 pm
peejay wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:18 am Any time I see a pickup with rear lighting issues, I can trace it to where someone used "vampire taps" to add trailer wiring, and the wiring has corroded all to hell.

Exactly! This is unfortunately very common on pickups. Corroded bulb sockets is also common.
I have had them fail due to the shitty design with the truck never being touched.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

econo racer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:42 am My 90 model chevy 1500 has no tail lights. Did not when I bought it.so never leaves the yard. Has a burnt valve at 301K. Brake pedal hard. Might be from bad vacuum from the valve. But here is where I get lost. Has 2 complete new tail light assemblies. No brake lights. no backup lights, No tail lights period. So I check for voltage back there. Nothing. All fuses good. I am not putting a new motor in until this is fixed 1st. Whats a man to do #-o [-o<
Obviously it is fuse or wiring related... Should be obvious if tested... It's just a path, follow it and see where it stops.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

most of the time its bad trailer wiring causing the problem
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com