Tech Rules For The 2020 REC Dyno Contest

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Gregory

Tech Rules For The 2020 REC Dyno Contest

Post by Gregory »

Rules and dates for the 2020 Race Engine Challenge are now on the web page. We now have three classes: our original
two classes with a few tweaks and our new small block "Classic Rivals" of Chevy vs Ford vs Mopar - or 23* vs 20* vs 18*.
We like to think of this class as classic architecture wrapped in modern technology.
www.RaceEngineChallenge.com
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Re: Tech Rules For The 2020 REC Dyno Contest

Post by Tom Walker »

Looking forward to another great event at the Race Engine Challenge.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Just curious why there is a minimum of 400" and 3" collector on the new class?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

NO cubic inch divider, limits to .035 overbore on all 4.000" bores and 4.000" stroke. Seems to be completely biases towards whoever casts the best head and available CNC program and deepest pockets. Bunch of "cookie cutter" engines. Sorry Greg, but this does not seem like Chev, vs Ford, vs Mopar when nothing is stock to start. Joe-71
Joe-71
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

GARY C wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:34 pm Just curious why there is a minimum of 400" and 3" collector on the new class?
Which would make me ask a tech official if that was OD or ID. :-k I try to spend my time reading between the lines as the best builders are not spending their time trying to build to the words posted, but more so to the words that are not posted.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

My opinion is the contest will be "biased" toward the builder who is creative,enthusiastic, persistent in testing and yes, who is willing to put their money and time into their build. They will be rewarded by calling them the winner.
From what I have seen both years so far, absolutely great builders validating their talents on the dyno and having a fantastic time hanging out.
The sense of fellowship that was there is a large part of the enjoyment from the event, and the talks I personally had with people were filled with years of their experience and knowledge.
apm

Post by apm »

Hi Greg
I'm based in Australia and would love to try and compete in the competition with an Australian based Holden engine , I put this to the organizers of engine masters 2 years ago for the iron headed class but never got a response, could you let me know if an entry would be considered with this engine ?
Thanks
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

In my OPINION, the cylinder head rules as written are still not clear as to whether the port entries can be filled / raised / widened, which I know ended up being a point of debate after last year's competition:

Welding/epoxy/porting within ports permitted. Ports must remain in their original as cast and manufactured location. Push rod tubes permitted. From the bottom/deck of the head to the bottom of the port is limited to 2”. Because of its different architecture, the GEN III Hemi is limited to 2.300”.

Yes, I know what the answer provided by Greg after the results were in was. However, it's still not clearly specified what is or is not acceptable as defined above.
cnsperf
Pro
Pro

Post by cnsperf »

BradH wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:00 am In my OPINION, the cylinder head rules as written are still not clear as to whether the port entries can be filled / raised / widened, which I know ended up being a point of debate after last year's competition:

Welding/epoxy/porting within ports permitted. Ports must remain in their original as cast and manufactured location. Push rod tubes permitted. From the bottom/deck of the head to the bottom of the port is limited to 2”. Because of its different architecture, the GEN III Hemi is limited to 2.300”.

Yes, I know what the answer provided by Greg after the results were in was. However, it's still not clearly specified what is or is not acceptable as defined above.
The way I read the rule (both last year and this year) and the way it has been interpreted by others, you can move stuff around as much as you want to as long as you don't break through the exterior of the port's original casting.

Disclaimer - I attended the first REC as a spectator and have not competed in either of the competitions.

Chris
Christopher Racing Engines
Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870
252-578-8273
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

This may explain what Greg means by the way he has written the rules. I "think" this is what he means or lets say this is the way i would personally interpret what he wrote. If you filled the port with a liquid, just as if you were ccing, the area that the liquid displaces is the area in which you can do whatever, you can not do anything beyond where the liquid is. :?:
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

cnsperf wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 pm
BradH wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:00 am In my OPINION, the cylinder head rules as written are still not clear as to whether the port entries can be filled / raised / widened, which I know ended up being a point of debate after last year's competition:

The way I read the rule (both last year and this year) and the way it has been interpreted by others, you can move stuff around as much as you want to as long as you don't break through the exterior of the port's original casting.

Disclaimer - I attended the first REC as a spectator and have not competed in either of the competitions.

Chris
Disclaimer - Neither a competitor or an on-site spectator of the prior events.

For purpose of clarity only, I humbly submit the following revision for consideration: "Port modifications, including raising and/or widening and/or lowering the runners, cannot exceed the limits established by the as-cast cylinder head. Any port modifications that use welding/epoxy to rebuild the interior runner floor/wall/roof surfaces in order to exceed the as-cast runner limitations are illegal."

Regardless, I look forward to following the builds and the results.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

cnsperf wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Chris
You should think of entering...because you get it.

It's not that difficult, don't go beyond the ports as cast.

There are three things you can't go into when porting.....anywhere there is engine oil, engine coolant or the atmosphere.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

GARY C wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:34 pm Just curious why there is a minimum of 400" and 3" collector on the new class?
You can have any collector size you want BEFORE the sealed connection to the dyno exhaust.

The min and max are for sealing purposes so no exhaust gases are recirculated back into the cell.

You can have a 2" collector if you want, just make sure at the exit it's blown out to the minimum for a good seal.

The max is the max

You can bring something smaller, but it better be good, cuz your getting scored at 400"

This is for ease of understand really...for years, dyno competitions have relied on cubic inch factoring. For those who compete, it's second nature to figure out pwr per cube and what's going on and where you need to be.

This is just straight up hp and tq numbers so you can instantly, and easily compare each engine as they are running.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 pm
Which would make me ask a tech official if that was OD or ID. :-k I try to spend my time reading between the lines as the best builders are not spending their time trying to build to the words posted, but more so to the words that are not posted.

Paul
Isn't exhaust pipe always O.D.?

If not, show me where it's the I.D.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Joe-71 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm NO cubic inch divider, limits to .035 overbore on all 4.000" bores and 4.000" stroke. Seems to be completely biases towards whoever casts the best head and available CNC program and deepest pockets. Bunch of "cookie cutter" engines. Sorry Greg, but this does not seem like Chev, vs Ford, vs Mopar when nothing is stock to start. Joe-71
Nope, there are three classes, two of which will use a cubic inch divider for guys like you. That's where you need to be.

If your talking about the classic rivals,, It's got nothing to do with CNC big buck parts..there are so many choices for those three brands to choose from it's not funny.

Sounds like your making excuses before you even lose.