Anybody tried Fusion 360 CAD/CAM/CAE software?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Anybody tried Fusion 360 CAD/CAM/CAE software?

Post by midnightbluS10 »

I have no idea how to even use this type of software, but I've been watching "This Old Tony" on YouTube as he makes tools, tool holders, and anything else he needs in his shop and that's what he uses. It seemed like a fairly thorough program, so I thought I'd ask if anybody had any experience with it and what all it can do. It's labeled a professional-level CAD, CAM, & CAE software that's free to use for the home-enthusiast in case anyone is interested in looking it over.

Has anybody used it? What, are your thoughts, opinions, etc...? Thanks.

Oh yea, if you don't watch "This Old Tony" on YouTube, you might give it a watch. It's better than 90% of what's on TV these days, IMO. He machines all sorts of things in his shop. Very interesting stuff and somewhat educational depending on your own, personal experience.
Last edited by midnightbluS10 on Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: Anybody tried Fusion 360 CAD/CAM/CAE software?

Post by SupStk »

No help here on the software but that youtube site is one of my favorites. Very well done videos by an advanced home machinist!
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
BenE64

Post by BenE64 »

I use fusion 360. Couldnt afford inventor, i like it but i am still learning. It is pretty powerful for the price, even better if free. I havent used the Cam stuff. The sheet metal functions are really good. Im about to purchase turbocad basic just for the 2d drawing stuff. 360 doesnt really lend itself to that stuff, like schematics etc.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I use 360, both sides of it.
Like anything else it takes time to learn BUT out of all of them this is the easiest.
I am in my 4th year and marvel at the idiot savant guys making incredibly complicated things with it. I'm getting there but not yet. :D
Lots of Youtube how to videos and the online forum is good. Between those 2 you should be able to figure out anything.
Just start off making something simple like a dumb piece with holes, threaded holes, chamfers, fillets, etc and move on from there.
You can even qualify for free by not making enough money with it.

One thing you should be aware of is computing power and this goes for all of these types of software.
The more complicated the part is the more power you will need.
A cheap puter with a 327 is fine for dead simple stuff. Complicated needs ProMod. Real complicated needs a Top Fuel computer.
Think Gamer machines. Lots of Ram and a kick butt video card.
How will you know?. When it takes forever to refresh whatever you are working on after a change.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I to/also use Fusion. I have 2 CNC and use this for both sides Cad and Cam. It has a steep learning curve but is fantastic to use. It works on 4 axis but not 5. From there u need to go to MasterCam or another such as SolidWorks.
reed