1987 Allegro drivetrain worth?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

1987 Allegro drivetrain worth?

Post by n2xlr8n »

My used-to-be pristine 87 Allegro with ~35k miles is beyond my time to restore it.

It is commonly understood that to remove the GM 454, it will have to come out of the cab. Labor-intensive, to say the least.

I'm trying to decide if a 35k mile, standard bore 454 (and HD TH400) is worth the effort- I have nothing to put it in, or no plans to build a 496, etc.

Thoughts?
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: 1987 Allegro drivetrain worth?

Post by SupStk »

Most GM based motorhomes can be more easily serviced by dropping the engine out the bottom. I used a truck transmission jack to remove the suspension crossmember (it unbolts from the frame). Then using the same jack with a fixture, remove the engine and transmission as one unit.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

SupStk wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:41 am Most GM based motorhomes can be more easily serviced by dropping the engine out the bottom. I used a truck transmission jack to remove the suspension crossmember (it unbolts from the frame). Then using the same jack with a fixture, remove the engine and transmission as one unit.
Thank you very much- I had heard that, but it was from a source I wasn't sure about.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The transmissions in some of the trucks, busses, and motor homes had special gear sets and are highly sought after. Substantial gear whine in first and second tells the story.
So much to do, so little time...