TOYOTA Camry?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
TOYOTA Camry?

Post by econo racer »

My 06 camry has never needed anything until know. Brakes are rubbing and its getting 4 new tires 2nd Set.. Only has 65k Sits under the porch also. What is the best brakes that you guys would use. Probably do pad and rotors unless I see something else. Thanks if you can help.
gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: TOYOTA Camry?

Post by gunt »

only pads , couldn't need discs at that milage
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Depends if there’s a rust ridge at the top and bottom of wear area I’d do rotors otherwise it will dust and be noisy. The gold line from zone is pretty fair, if you do rotors get coated ones to help with the aforementioned rust issues.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

The Toyota brake rotors are some of the most undersized in the industry. After having worked for them for years in their US foundation brake group and after having benchmarked most of the competitors I can say that with authority. Also their pad material is poor. The standard I like is the Centric Posi Quiet “Ceramic” pads. They have four types of posi quiets, and the ceramics are what I recommend. As for as rotors, I have not done rotor testing to know who’s rotors would be best. I will say that I’d one is heavier than another, I will always go with the heavier as it would provide a larger heat sink for the system. That I do know from testing.

As a quick background on me, I spent the last 12 years as a brake tester as my profession. All my recommendations are based on data, not opinion. I spent seven years working with an independent testing company that did testing for almost all the major auto manufacturers, and then spent the rest of the time working at Toyota, so I feel confident speaking about their products. I no longer work for them, hence the reason I am speaking freely about their products. Still, just my opinion though.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Paul,

Any testing on drilled or grooved versus not, OEM or otherwise?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Kevin, while testing for Mercedes we say a 30% increase in pad wear and no performance benefit. Now depending on your pad compound that will differ. If your pad has a tendency to glaze this could be a very good thing as it keeps taking off a bit of the pad and keeps a better surface on the pad. We never had the chance to test them in a true race type application. The performance type stuff did not show an improvement though. It was accepted that it was to help create a “performance look” which helped with sales.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

True story!

I took my little corn-popper in for inspection after me installing new front pads to a local shop on the Business Loop and at the next inspection time (2) years later, I looked it over and the shop had ground my new pads at a 45 degree angle both inside and outside circumferences!

I noticed this because as mentioned earlier, there was a distinct rust build up on the outside wear edge as well as the inside wear edge next to
the big hole.

Never went back to them.

And I have tried a couple of other shops and they have all tried to mess with my cars over the years!

I do ALL my own maintenance myself now except balancing tires, I take them to Walmart.

I even took our '85 Cavalier S/W in one time to Target because it was flat slushy/nasty out for an oil change and caught the tech loosening it's pan bolts!! Sucker never leaked a drop of oil until after he did it. I lived with it and again never went back.

Heck, I had a front tire start to separate and didn't know what it was because I had never had one do this before. Anyway, the tire shop wanted to sell me a 4-wheel complete suspension rebuild ! Hell, all they would have had to do was tell me what was going on and I would have bought (4) new tires from them!! But NO, fu*k the customer!!

Boy did I get hot. The as*hole tech even aligned my (4) tires such that the drivers side front and pass side rear were out at like a 45 degree angle and did the opposite to the other two.

You know, like this....

.....\..../

...../....\

Not like this..

.....l....l

.....l....l

I took it to Big-O the next day and had them re-align it and that was what the tech said had been done to it!

Never went back to the 1st shop and told everybody that would listen to me what they had done!

pdq67