NGK Counterfeiters

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
NGK Counterfeiters

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Year old video -- would be interesting to know if Amazon has stopped facilitating the fake ones.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/te ... index.html The NGK website article from 14 years ago shows that it was an instruction manual for the counterfeiters. The video below indicates that they have upped their game but still get it wrong. In the comments section many people seem to be welcoming the fakes because they are cheaper -- others have pointed out that they don't last as long.

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: NGK Counterfeiters

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am Year old video -- would be interesting to know if Amazon has stopped facilitating the fake ones.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/te ... index.html The NGK website article from 14 years ago shows that it was an instruction manual for the counterfeiters. The video below indicates that they have upped their game but still get it wrong. In the comments section many people seem to be welcoming the fakes because they are cheaper -- others have pointed out that they don't last as long.

WOW ... I am told that China will counterfeit almost anything but, I never imagined this.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Larry Salisbury

Post by Larry Salisbury »

Counterfeit Ford/Motorcraft parts have been easy to spot in the past, but the game has changed. The best way to avoid fake factory parts is to know your sources. Like it or not, the dealership is still the best place for obtaining your genuine OEM parts.

Larry Salisbury

pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Did the, "Chi-Coms", counterfeit this new strain of flu we are dealing with?

Like in, "steal it from our CDC"???

I know, way off topic, but please carry-on.

pdq67
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

No. Its their own creation, Paul. A manmade mutation of the SARS and MERS viruses. All are biological warfare agents. Whether they got loose and into the general population by accident or whether they were intentionally deployed, I cannot say for sure but since the spread of this latest Wuhan Coronavirus has not followed any sort of natural progression (look at Iceland, for example)...... I lean towards the latter.

Must go now, as I am not feeling well. Probably something I ate over the weekend. Have been drinking Pedialyte and staying close to the pot this afternoon. Did manage to get some Peanut Butter crackers down just now. Mentioned new steps taken by local officials (Harris County and Houston, Texas) on the 'Corona' thread, so won't repeat that here.

Stay well and G-d bless,

Harry
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

So how to tell the real NGK plugs from the fakes?
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Good question, Geoff! Mightn't it have something to do with the brown stain on the porcelain where it joins the metal on these plugs?......

Just wondering,

Harry
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Thanks Harry. That is corona staining [ not related to corona virus....] , possible on any spark plug, so not a build or quality indicator.

I was referring more to new plugs, especially those for sale on epay.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Geoff2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:14 am Thanks Harry. That is corona staining [ not related to corona virus....] , possible on any spark plug, so not a build or quality indicator.

The disappointing context is that you will need to very carefully compare any purchases to a known legitimate (AND current) sample.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Counterfeit or not ... can someone verify how they work differently...?
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 am Counterfeit or not ... can someone verify how they work differently...?
Ignoring everything already discussed in other threads about them not lasting as long, I would be mightily suspicious of accurate heat ranges.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Geoff2 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:14 am Thanks Harry. That is corona staining [ not related to corona virus....] , possible on any spark plug, so not a build or quality indicator.

Appreciate the heads up, Geoff! I must admit that this corona staining is new to me. So had to research it a bit......

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/te ... index.html

I have never seen it on any plugs I have used. In the old days, I ran Champion or AC, but since the '70s, mostly Bosch, Motorcraft or NipponDenso. Changed from Bosch platinums in our daily drivers after 2nd born son had an issue with them in a late model (at the time) Ford product. Seems they had too much resistance for the factory electronic ignition. After chasing our tails for days, I pulled the Bosch platinums and changed them out for some cheaper plain Jane Motorcraft plugs and his early '90s Mercury ran like a top. Problem solved.

Is this staining the result of some sort of change in manufacturing processes? Is it unique to NGK and/or certain other plugs? Just wondering. I did read the information on NGK's website, but frankly I am skeptical regarding the cause they give. If that is the case (and no change in manufacturing processes), why have I never seen such a thing over the past 57 years tinkering with engines?

Actually, I have been considering NGK plugs for this 'last' engine build, but have no personal experience with them as yet.

Best regards,

Harry
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

enigma57 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:31 pm ...
I have never seen it on any plugs I have used. ...
See column 1, lines 5-15. Patent from 1949.
Plug_staining.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D Interesting read! Thanks, Kevin. Reckon I've just been lucky.

Actually, I was looking into some platinum/iridium plugs similar to those the poster of the first video in this thread bought. Mainly to try in son's engine as its going in his 3rd gen Camaro along with headers and changing plugs won't be much fun the way it all goes together. So was interested in plugs that might have a longer life between changes.

As for the 292 inline 6 I'm building for the '57...... Bad news is that the old 9-port head is not a crossflow design and intake and exhaust are not only on same side, but are on the drivers side...... Good news is that distributor and spark plugs are on opposite (passenger) side and are easy to get at.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I was replying to a post asking about burst panels and saw this gem about brake pads:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25965