E85 - use it to sanitize stuff!

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

E85 - use it to sanitize stuff!

Post by KnightEngines »

New use for e85 - being roughly 85% alcohol if you cut it with 10% petrol it makes a damn fine sanitizer for hard surfaces, cleans pretty good too.
I've got a couple of pump bottles of it to hose down all jobs/parts coming into the shop & clean down benches with it.

Cheap & actually available.
peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: E85 - use it to sanitize stuff!

Post by peejay »

HELL no!!!

I tore down an E85 turbo engine that had blowby issues once, without gloves on. Got the mother of all headaches after working with the gloopy oil that was all over the internals. Ever since then, the smell of E85 exhaust or even just the fuel itself makes me gag!

I can wash things in gasoline or kerosene, I can sip a nice tall glass of Sobieski all evening (my Polish ancestors smiling down on me, no doubt)... but so much as filling a 5 gallon fuel can with E85 makes me test how long I can hold my breath.

I don't get it either!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Hand sanitizer needs to be 60% alcohol, which is 120 proof.

E-85 varies in alcohol content, from about 60% to 85%. 120--175 proof.

The downside would be the flash point: the gasoline will burn, baby, burn. Of course alcohol burns, too.

And watch what you do with the E-85 soaked rags that you're wiping stuff down with. They're a garage fire waiting to happen.

Effective, but dangerous. Not my first choice.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

What happens if you mix some water with it? does the gasoline settle out?
but what about the benzine?
Had the same thought, when I finally read the SDS and found..... the "Denatured alcohol" I was using is likely 50% methanol, not the 15% I had assumed #-o
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

modok wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:19 pm What happens if you mix some water with it? does the gasoline settle out?
but what about the benzine?
Had the same thought, when I finally read the SDS and found..... the "Denatured alcohol" I was using is likely 50% methanol, not the 15% I had assumed #-o
The water mixes with the alcohol and forms a separate layer at the bottom, leaving the non-alcohol hydrocarbons floating on top.

Denatured alcohol is ethanol with s**t (often 5% or more methanol) added to make it undrinkable and/or potentially fatal if consumed or absorbed through the skin.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

You guys realize all of this soaks through the skin, right?

Especially with gasoline, I think I’ll pass on trying to give myself leukemia.
-Bob