Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: SAM's SB2 At The EMC And The REC

Post by David Vizard »

hoffman900 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 am
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 am 500,000+ dyno pulls = 27+ pulls per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 50 years.
Impressive!
According to his book published in 2010, it was 200,000 :?
Bob,
I would like to see that 200,000 number to access the situation.
could be a misprint or something. Anyway where exactly was it?????
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

MT-engines posted on june 30 :-

I dont have any more time to screenshot, crop, resize! Try writing a book and see just how much work it is to put out good working tech to folk who definitly are greatly helped by it. If you are going to do a job then do it the best you can not some half assed deal.

you guys wouldnt believe it if you came to the track and watched him get his stuff pushed in. And just when have you personally ever witnessed such?

you'd still be hopping on whatever excuse you can think of.
I think you are going to have to backpeddle here because I seriously doubt you can come up with an honest answer.

i could find the dyno files for the Dynojet and SF on my backup drive if you need proof but its clearly a waste of time.. I have no problem proving I didnt adulter the data by making fancy colorful graphs. Let's not forget that many many people build engines just as I detail and guess what - they set track records and win races and championships. That alone should be proof suffcient that the data/instructions/info I give works. My work is under far more public scrutiny than any other ST poster by at least an order of magnitude.the results prove that I can put on paper better advice than almos all pro engine builders. Why, because i spend such an inordanat amout of time testing. Once it is on paper you cannot say 'i did not say that because ther it is in black and white with colorful publication quality, MEANINGFUL, EASY TO READ, PRECISE GRAPHS THAT ARE WELL EXPLAINED. That does not happen with writers who fudge the results AND/OR WORK AROUND DIFFICULT TECH THAT THEY CANOT UNDERSTAND.!!!!!!! I will accept your appology for thinking I WOULD STOOP that low.

People come to me to go fast.. Not because I spend my time making colorful graphs. People come to me because my very accurate easy to read colorful publication quality graphs play a very solid roll in helping them to go fast enough to beat many a successful pro. NO OTHER AUTHOR ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET DOES THAT!

I Travelled 5 states during the covid lockdown for private testing. I HAVE SEVERLY COMPROMISED LUNGS AND THIS, AND MY AGE (77) WOULD MEAN CARTAIN DEATH IF I WERE TO GET COVID 19. I HAVE OBSERVED THE LOCK DOWN PROTOCOL TO THE LETTER AND THEN SOME.

How many have you? So you have been to five states in the last 9 months or so to set up customers cars. My guess is that it is pretty much all at drag strips but I could be wrong. I don't do track day calls now. Back when I was 74 was the last track day shake down I was asked to do. That was for a road race team in Jamaica. They offerd me two drives in road races that were just 14 days apart with a view to me sorting out the braking, handling and cornering capability of the car concerned. As inducement to take up the job they offered to pay all expenases for 16 days down in the Caribean for both me and my wife all expenses paid. In addition to this I would get about $300 an hour for my time in the drivers seat.
I don't often do 'states' but I do get to go the places like Astralia, NZ, UK, Canada, many of the Caribean islands, Germany, France, Italy and the like. They are always all expenses paid trips. Unlike most of the folk that go to a track as tech support I am the driver of the car not just the tech guy.

This isn't a hobby to many of these guys that spot the BS and point it out! The implication here is that I do this for a hobby - where on earth did you get that notion!!!!!!!
AS for the BS deal if you or anyone can politley point to any BS or inaccuracies that i have been responsible for then be my guest - let's have at it. Let us discuss such as civilized people and expose, to all concerned the BS --- or conversly - the lack of it.

Its the nutswingers on here that just wont stop! Many of us are fed up, so much bad advice is being given, worthless information too. Can I get an instace of bad advice or worthless info that I have supposedly given so I can assertain just what is ticking you off here. If it warrents an apology then I am ready to do so but I have to know what I am being accused of here.

I look forward to your responce here.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 am
David Vizard wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:54 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 am 500,000+ dyno pulls = 27+ pulls per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for 50 years.
Impressive!
Once again you have jumped to conclusions based solely on what you guys do. If you had called me I could have given you a good few references of folks who have been with me during extended dyno sessions and will confirm what I said.

Those who think that 27 pulls a day is good would not last long as a dyno test subcontractor.

While I was doing cam development/tests we were well over 300 pulls a day. We got down to 29 minutes from shut down to refire for a cam change in a SBC and about the same in a A Series Mini Cooper engine.That is the sort of turn around that can be expected if you plan the test routine and the test engine is configured solely to do tests at short interval periods.

BTW here's a good contact - Dave Mountain - the boss at Mountune racing engines. He is probably the winningest race engine builder in the world. Just give him a call Warp and see what he has to say about a lowly pace of 27 tests a day. Mind you he won't think that much of you for questioning this in the first place but if you want, (FOR A CHANGE) some facts you actually researched instead of guessed then go for it. If that is not enough I can put you on to plenty of big names in the business.

Here's one - while dyno testing at the EMC about 2012 I was doing our runs with Engine tuner Scott Clark and ST poster 900 hp Mark. The engine ran into a problem which I diagnosed before the end of the run. That is the result of mega pulls and experience - not even 15 seconds let alone 15 minutes. Here is another get the job done deal. I wrote my 528 page, million dollar best seller in one day less than 6 months. That included all the drawings, photos, the building of six dyno mules, shooting the front cover etc. All this while I was still supporting half a dozen magazines. If the best you can do at Hendricks is 27 pulls a day then it was not a wise move on your part to turn down the offer of a zero cost ticket to one of my seminars. Just think how much better your fact finding would have been!!!!!

Here's one I want to take you up on Warp - from the big Facebook shindig a while ago when I challenged Scott Foxwell to a camshaft 'tell all' in front of one of my classes. I offered him up to a $1000 just to set me straight on my cam selection technique. It was a 'no go' but he did have a good out. He admitted he is not a cam expert but he has a close working relationship with a person he claims knows far more than he does or for that matter more than I do.

Anyway, once again you made a totally unresearched comment that cannot possible be right.
You claimed - 'Vizard thinks he knows everything!

Ask anyone who actually knows me and they will tell you I am the epitome of the 'eternal student'. That is hardly someone who thinks they know it all! More like it is someone who knows they don't know it all but is making a really concerted effort to close the gap between ignorance and knowledge.

Also -if you had taken up my offer as guest attendee to one of my seminars you might have a better idea of what it takes to run more than a lowly 27 R & D dyno pulls a day. Plus - and this is the point I want to make - I always start my seminars with a comment along the lines of ' if any of you are here because you think I have all the answers you can leave now! Thinks he know everything - what a joke!! And by the way 27 pulls a day hardly justifies the Warp Speed monicker!!!!
Your just full of AWESOME! =D>
I can see from your cryptic responses that you are rather touchy about any criticism that challenges your 'I work at Hendrick Motorsport' status. I would like to point out to ST posters at large that the girl that sits at the reception desk at Hendricks also 'works at Hendricks'. The tone of your posts in response to anything I have posted has always been more than just tinged with cynicism and sarcasm. I suspect you are possibly a very insecure person. Any respect I might have had for you has long flown the coup. If you want any comments like this said to your face then fine – let’s set up a meeting where I can really tell you what I think.
DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Bob Hoffman posted:-
You should hang that post up in the break room.

It still didn't answer how in 2010, he had 200,000 (*according to his book) and now on ST in 2020, he has 500,000 dyno pulls. These are literally David's words, not mine,

Like I said in my other response on this - let me know where you saw that statement.

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 pm
GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 pm

I'm curious, how much time would you budget for that test? (including record keeping and update of test plan, clean-up the cell etc.) Checking lash cold, hot, before and after pulls.
At the pace and level of care a professional, not the fastest it can be done.
Thats not what I do for a living, you should call DV and discus that with him considering that is the kind of testing he has done for 50 years. You may be surprised what data he could share.

Personally I was surprised that he still tests it to this day considering the data he already has from previous years of testing.
When I have worked in environments where people do it for a living
I would put it at 2-3 hours for an average team.
Some meticulous guys would be over 4 hours.
In responce:-
When I have worked in environments where people do it for a living Jon - what the hell do you think i did for a living???

I would put it at 2-3 hours for an average team. I don't employ 'average people for my team only highly talented ones. That is part of the deal with getting stuff done quickly. Such a team as you describe would not last long working for me that's for sure.

Some meticulous guys would be over 4 hours.
That's the amount of time I would have given such a person to clear out their stuff. Cannot afford to employ snail pace workers nor incompetent ones either.

DV
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by speedtalk »

OK, we now have multiple pages, that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. We're done here.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin