bob460
Expert
Expert

Re: SAM's SB2 At The EMC And The REC

Post by bob460 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 pm
bob460 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:17 pm
Compared to a single sb2 intake.

Will find out more details when done.......but designer said looking to make 1100hp
What RPM target?

Vs something like this?
Yes like that.

As soon as i find out more details i'll let you know..............he runs in prostock down under and design's some killer parts and builds killer engines
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I haven't read the complete thread, but why the drop in compression from like 15 to 1 to 11.9 CR. between the years?

I ask because if I am reading right, E85 can work up to like 17 to 1 CR and we all know that power is produced by compression.

Just saying is all and I know E85 isn't mentioned here.....

pdq67
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Because 11.9 Static compression is a whole lot closer to a sensible compression ratio for a street driven Engine, 10-4 P.D.Q. 67. ? Mark H.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Here is a nice 420ci, developed by HIGGINS race heads in Australia made 864hp @7500rpm and 640tq on PUMP GAS. =D>

The Heads are 2.85 mcsa and with a 2.170 intake 1.6 exhaust valve. What makes this even more impressive is that it’s done with 4150 manifold / carburetor.

David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

[/quote]
From_ mt-engines » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:35 pm
Well scientific data takes time.. As a dyno operator myself 50 in a day would be a hell of a test subject. I'm sure many people could do more if they aren't testing different collectors, merge pipes, intake manifolds, can timing etc. Then there is the fuel temp, cell temp, engine temp, egt, o2 heat up time, flow meter calibration, fuel weight test.. 1 pull every 2 minutes seems like alot of BS, unless you are just trying to stroke your ego on how many pulls you can do. Anyone can do automated endurance testing and walk away.

I'm sure Jay should sign up for your classes. Because clearly Hendricks motorsports has no idea what the are doing. I'm sure there is so much to learn from someone who sells books.
[/quote]

Responce:-
Well scientific data takes time.

Sure does – without cutting edge tests (nonproductive tests for tests sake) I would not have the material that produces a leading position in the automotive tech field. I am not one of those tech writers who asks others – I write from personal experience as being a well-documented research engineer with a bunch of performance patents that have made me a lot of money. As far as I can tell I am the only tech writer whose had books published that were in front of the performance industry.

The two I am referring to are my ‘A’ Series book and my Pinto book. If, within about two years of their introduction, you built an all-out race engine as per the books instructions you could expect to beat everyone else out there. (not too shabby for a so-called dumb ass tech writer who makes claims as to have run better than 500,000 dyno pulls) If there is a mistake in anything I publish then, guess what – it’s all mine!!!

If I was somebody that made claims that could not be backed up I would have been out of business practically before I started. Here I am at 77 years of age (55 years self-employed) and I can barely keep up with demand. As of now I only do about an average of 8 hours a day but for 7 days a week. Not too shabby for someone you are making out to be a sort of book writing charlatan.

As a dyno operator myself 50 in a day would be a hell of a test subject.

If you are testing by yourself or maybe with one assistant then 50 tests a day is a very repectfull number. I usually had a team of 4 guys helping here. All dyno test experts in their own right and, for that matter, mostly ex-students of mine.

Engines were normally built for the tests proposed and would have certain facilities built in to make tests easier and faster. For example, our SBC cam test engines had remote water pumps, cam removal facility out through the timing cover via a Jessel style belt drive with cam advance retard in 60 seconds. Carb mixture electronically controlled, Ignition timing to suit cam electronically set for curve. Mixture and timing adjusted directly from dyno consul without engine shut down. Dry manifold – special holding fixture for distributor so that it would drop right into place on reassembly. Overkill on oil and water-cooling capability so neither wandered from preset temps. O2 sensors in every cylinder (we built that system with the help of K&N’s consultant electronics guy when O2 systems were in their infancy). Everybody was hung up on ex temps – which is a bad move for mixture analyzation.

Here is an example of a series of cam tests for a day and a half on a 350 SBC with pocket ported heads and 10.5/1 CR. Run on certified Texaco dyno test fuel unleaded of 94 R+M/2 octane. Dyno headers – 1-5/8, intake Edelbrock Victor Jnr, carb – specially modified (by me) 650 Holly with WOT mixture adjustable on the fly. Ignition- programable box operating through MSD 6 and GM HEI.

Start point - engine warmed up ready for first pull with mixture and timing optimized.

Batch #1 tests:-

Test #1 baseline with cam set to 4 degrees retard and with 1.5/1 rockers all around.
5 pulls each about 12 seconds with 12 seconds recovery (this could be done because of the overkill on cooling capacity) between pulls = 2 min.
Process data = throw out best and worst pulls and average other three. All done on computer – about 2 mins total.
Advance cam two degrees and check mixture and timing for optimum. From console this was done in under 3 mins.
Test #2 repeat test 1 at new settings. Time - 7 mins
Test #3 as per test #2 but cam advanced to 0 degrees. Time - 7 mins
Test #4 as for test 3 but cam advanced to 2 degrees. Time 1 min to advance cam and 7 mins for tests
Test#5 as per 4 but with cam advanced to 4 degrees. Time 1 min to advance cam and 7 mins for tests
At our discretion we would run a cam at 6 degrees of advance just to see if that was optimal. Some times it was although only barely but we will skip that for the sake of simplicity.

Pulls so far total 25. Meaningful pulls so far 15. Total time from start of #1 tests. 35 mins.

Batch #2 tests
Adjust rockers on intake to 1.65 leave exhaust as is at 1.5. 10 mins between two people.
Rerun all the tests in batch #1 pulls so far total – 50. Meaningful runs to date - 30. ET so far 70 mins

Batch #3 tests
Adjust exhaust rocker ratio to 1.65 to match intake. Rerun tests of batch #2

Pulls so far - total 75. Meaningful runs to date - 45. ET so far 105 mins

Batch #4 tsts
Adjust intake rockers back to 1.5 leave exhaust at 1.65.
Rerun tests of batch #3.

Pulls so far 100. Meaningful pulls so far 60. ET 140 mins.

Change cam to one with same profiles but 2 degree different on LCA. (we usually started with an LCA that was known to be too wide for our baseline and tightened it up from there)

Cam change 30 mins from shut down to fire up. Check and set timing and mixture (this was done for each test group anyway) 10 mins.

ET so far – 180 mins or 3 hours.

Run through test batches 1 to 4 with new cam.

Total number of pulls 200 total number of meaningful pulls 120. ET 320 mins.

Repeat above for 110, 108, 106 and 104 LCA.

Total pulls 600. Total meaningful pulls 480. ET 960 mins

Of course, not everything went as smoothly as that time per test sequence would suggest but many days it did.

The reality is a little more time than the 2 mins per test would suggest. With an early start (usually about 6 for my help and about 4.30 am for me as I am a known workaholic) we would make about 350 pulls in a 14-hour day. This, on most days, left us with an average pulls per hour rate of about 25 pulls per hour. I was in charge of the team and would analyze the data during the down time between tests.

During 1986 the results of 11,000 cam related tests for Kent Cams in the UK were finalized. This resulted in some 4 or five ranges of cams which made them literally $ millions. The new cam data that came out of these tests was really useful. The range of cams I and my team designed beat everything out there whether produced by factory race teams or subcontracted F1 engine manufactures or other cam companies.

So this guy who writes books may not be quite the pen pushing dummy some seem to think.

BTW talking of books, I am the only tech writer who has written a book that went to #1 best seller with 58,000 copies sold BEFORE THE FIRST ONE WAS RELEASED TO THE PUBLIC. And was there one know-it-all on the Facebook deal said – and I quote, Vizard has never lead at anything – obviously he did not do his research very well. I have said it before and I will stick my neck out and say it again. If I did my research as shoddily as so many of my critics do I would have been out of business years ago. Instead more or less the reverse applies!

I'm sure many people could do more if they aren't testing different collectors, merge pipes, intake manifolds, can timing etc. Then there is the fuel temp, cell temp, engine temp, egt, o2 heat up time, flow meter calibration, fuel weight test.
1 pull every 2 minutes seems like a lot of BS,

Agreed one every two mins is a little over the top but one every 2-1/2 mins is not with a really organized team.

unless you are just trying to stroke your ego on how many pulls you can do.

Somehow voicing my achievements after I have been wrongly and publicly discredited by folk with genuinely oversized egos always seems to come back in the form of a character putdown. A poor and otherwise mean strategy at best!

Anyone can do automated endurance testing and walk away.

Agreed that could be done but what would be the point of me doing it if the purpose of the tests in the first place was to gather information for prospective readers so that they don’t have to do the tests and find out ‘whatever’ for themselves at great expense. Remember everyone who buys one of my books contributes toward the cost of ‘very precise’ dyno testing. The ‘very precise’ dyno testing comment was one made by Cosworth when I was doing work for them.

I'm sure Jay should sign up for your classes. Because clearly Hendricks motorsports has no idea what they are doing.

I have serviced about 6 Hendrick employees so far. And at least that many F1 guys) Each one gave me the thumbs up in no uncertain terms. Randy Dorton came to my 1998 seminar at Charlotte university. He said – and I quote ‘- “have got my money back on this seminar already”. That was at the first break just two and a half hours into a 20-hour seminar. So here is the bottom line - guys like Warp Speed feel that - with no experience to the contrary (i.e. have not been to one of my seminars) – that it is perfectly OK to bad mouth my abilities in this department. However, the fact of the matter is that I scored top marks from all Hendrick Motorsport employees and F1 guys who have actually attended. For the record I have a 99.9% approval rating by all the attendees I have had to my seminars over the last 30 years. Attendees include mostly pro engine people ranking in the F1, NASCAR, university education (many PHD’s, high ranking OE engineers and professors have attended)

So much for taking any notice of what Warp Speed actually has to say. I’m beginning to think that ‘Warped’ is a good moniker but I am not so sure of the ‘Speed’ bit. As for Jay, I don’t know him but I am going to make the assumption that, before he comments on this, he has the good sense to research a response long before making it and avoid the uninformed opinion rout that seems so popular here.

I'm sure there is so much to learn from someone who sells books.

No let me see here - Charles Fayette Taylor wrote books, Ricardo wrote books , Weslake wrote books,
Haywood wrote books, Blair wrote books, and the list goes on. Their books targeted the folk who were to become professionals at this engine stuff – mostly in the OEM side.

My books target the beginner in the business and I focus on very precise instructions on info that will help them all the way up to a lofty goal of actually beating top pros right out of the gate. I am the only tech writer (full time or not)in the world that has done this and I did not get that info by asking your typical pro engine builders!

Question! Is there any chance I can actually get credit for anything I have done in my so far 62 year career by guys such as yourself.

I realize that due to the prolific output of books most of you think I am a journalist. Nothing could be further from the truth. I make most of my income as a consultant/designer/engine builder in this business. I have been a consultant to many entities in this business and have been instrumental in helping them win not just national events but international. Back in the 80’s almost every F1 car in the field ran with my technology.

Apart from writing books I also write computer programs which are intended to help guys such as yourself and even guys who work as OE engineers.

I also make money off my patents. My biggest money maker was the muffler designs I did for Cyclone back in the 80’s. When Hot Rod tested Turbo mufflers at Gale Banks shop my Sonic Turbo won but there is an interesting aside to this. The tests called for a single 2-1/2-inch muffler to be use and I had not finished the design of the 2-1/2 unit, only the 2-1/4. I told the guys at Cyclone to swedge open the 2-1/4 unit to a 2-1/2-inch inlet/outlet. The question came back as to how we might do with a 2-1/4 unit against the 2-1/2's of other companies. My response was ‘we will still win”.

And we did. Beat out the next best unit by 8 HP with way less noise!!!!

My octane booster has never lost a shootout world wide when tested against all and sundry.

My 5 port iron headed Mini engine builds, as detailed in my A Series book, have never lost to any championship winning pro’s or, for that matter, the factory team with their light-weight bodies, and Ti rodded, fuel injected, 8 port, aluminum headed engines. Just remember the BS stops when the flag drops.

I did all this without laying a single finger or even seeing the car concerned. No – it was built to the specs of a guy that writes books based on thousands of dyno tests (who would have thought such a thing was even possible!!!)

My 17 year old daughter, Samantha, and her 18 year old boyfriend built a Mini Cooper sourcing a donor engine from the wrecking yard. Using the very precise instructions in my 528-page A Series book they scored an 88% win record in two and a half years. That 1380 Mini of theirs shut down every top pro in the country (that’s guys like you) as well as a highly funded factory car with a pro driver. An aside here is that the following year I put out a challenge (was in all major magazines) to all and every engine builder and it went like this:-

I would pay the airfare and the expenses of up to a six week stay at my place in California for anyone who can better the ET and speed of my daughter’s mini. Once they had shown me how it was done I would also do a multi part feature on such.
If they better my numbers on my dyno it would be worth at least $250,000 in sales in 1986 money.

The rules were simple. Weight had to be no less than 1660 lbs with driver, no nitrous and no supercharging. My daughter’s car was 1380 but mini engines will go bigger than that. I, with my good friend David Anton at APT, have built up to 1622 cc. We did one like that for James Garner and his buddy. So challengers could bring any displacement to the starting line they thought might do the job.

I heard several championship winning pro’s went to the track and tried their best – all failed!

Look I don’t want to go on blowing my own trumpet here but I will defend myself from grossly inaccurate and unresearched statements. What I have just gone through is just a fraction of what I have done in the field of motorsport in my 62 years on the job. Trust me, as a work-o-holic I have done the work of something more along the lines of 120 years. That 528 - page A Series book would have taken the typical pro writer about 18 months --- minimum. I took one day less than 6 months.

The turbo motor I developed for Chrysler UK from the production line Chrysler Tiger took 4 months start to finish. The boss at the race department told me that it would have taken 6 or so of their engineers to turn out the finished project in such a short time.

I really feel I should be given at least some minimal credit for producing 35 books and over 4000 articles in what actually amounts to a spare time job between designing and developing other stuff.

Just to finish off here I also built a very successful design of ‘Tunnel’ car six years before one showed up at Indy and one bigoted no-it-all dumb ass on the engine builders face book forum said – and I quote – Vizard never lead at anything! Yeh - right!!!!

If you are going to respond to this post please check your facts before putting any words in print!!

Just remember I may challenge a poster to actually justify the factuality of a comment. As a public figure any comment that is erroneous and proves detrimental to either my income or character can be challenged in court - and the winner takes all!

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

bob460 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 pm Vizard vs Warpspeed engine build contest..........best ave power after 300 dyno pulls............LMAO... :twisted:
If, in the true tradition of dualling, Warp cares to make a dyno shootout challenge I get to set the 'where' and 'how' of the deal.

First Warp has to show he is up to the challenge otherwise taking him on is simply not worth my time. This is how he has to prove his competence: -

He has to tell someone, who has never won a real race before, precisely how to do so with an engine type that Warp has never worked on. The person concerned must be under 25 and all build instructions are to be done over the phone or with drawings by email.
When he has shown this type of competency, I will discuss the rules for an engine build off that involves each of us doing the work and not discussing the build to get advantageous info from a third party. The loser pays the winner ten grand and forfeits the engine.

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Joe-71 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm It gets old being challenged on everything a person says here on some issues, and completely dismissing the experience of some of us as being stupid, or liars. At 74 years old, with four college degrees, master instructor experience, and college teaching automotive classes, I only make a reply when it is something I am directly knowledgeable of, and have experience with. I have been to four EMC challenges, and on two separate occasions at EMC, we made 12 complete dyno pulls in 35 minutes, and that was with plug checks, timing checks, jet changes, and linkage work. It is not uncommon to make 40 or more dyno pulls in a half day on the dyno with carb/header/spacers/timing/valve lash/cam advance or retard/changes to see what a particular engine responds to. I know that for me to make 40 or even 60 dyno pulls, I must have everything preplanned and available for quick changes so that the engine oil, water temp, and dyno water temps don't change to make the testing valid. Not uncommon to have 9 or 10 carbs ready, just as many spacers, and 4 or 5 intake manifolds available for a session. Three head changes in one day in very possible if you set everything up and have a good helper available. So, experience and preplanning makes it very possible for David V to have thousands of dyno sessions under his belt at his age. Joe-71
Thanks Joe,
I appreciate the moral support your post will have instilled.

Let me ask you how many pulls do you think you could make if you had four guys with your competance and experience to help with this testing and doing it under the gun as far as time goes. You have budget of say, 5 grand, to make the test engine as test worthy as possible into the bargain.

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:47 pm Out of curiosity, how many duplicate pulls do you guys make for each change?

When I worked in a corrosion lab, we weighed everything at least three times and a calibration check was performed often. A lab scale is much more accurate / precise then a dyno.
Five, then take out the best and worst and average the other three. Try to keep mean deviation to less than +/- 1%. Doing so takes a really good tune. This is much easier on a well sorted motor such as a cup car unit.
DV
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

It would not be out of the question to get 30 complete pulls with verification with four guys working to help in one hour. Keeping the water temperature consistent and fuel consistent would be an issue for some dyno cells. Timing changes, plug changes, valve lash changes, carb changes, are things that are quickly brought into focus, and then the real testing begins. I am with you on having at least three back to back repeatable pulls to establish validity on any single change, and I prefer to make single changes and test unless I see several things that need to be fixed at on time. Usually, though, the first five pulls are some of the best since years of experience already have me going for what I think will be my best set-up. Joe-71
Joe-71
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

It seems to have gone very quiet on the MT-Engines and Warp Speed front!!!

DV
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

The stupidity - BS never ceases by some!!!!!!

Tom
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 am
408 Nova wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 pm
mt-engines wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 pm

How about 1 attempt, no dyno time before the competition. Your first Cam,lifter headers, oil pan etc is your only.
Won't you just do it yourself there chief, since you're calling Dave out?
Im not the only one to call him out.. I think a lot of people do not like me because they feel insecure by the fact that a 'book writer' might show them up. Also people tend not to throw stones at small fry. Now big fry - well that's another thing. Critisizing someone who is nearer top of the heap makes them look more knowledgable in the eyes of their very limited adience.
D V

go to yellowbullet where the avg person actually races or owns a shop.. I have three race cars at present. One ready to go. Its an ex Casey Kane car that my late daughter 'Jacque' was going to drive in a vintage NASCAR class. Later this year our 1990 5.0 road race enduro Mustang should be ready for the 2021 season. I personally, have set track records on every major UK road course bar one. MT - could we call that racing or what???

I have a 1300 Sq foot shop which has 2 sophisticated flow benches, 5 down-draft grinding benches, full seat and guide facility, valve seat grinder,milling, turning etc. I think that most people would agree that sounds a bit like - well shall we say - a shop! I have had my own shop now for over 55 years. I am sure few of the miss-informed YB'ers can claim that.

they call it out too! Must be the average person on YB is as bad at doing proper reseach as some on ST!

Here is some proof i actually do this for a living. What in the blazes do you think I do for a living - sit on my butt all-day and wait for high tech stuff to fall out of the sky on me?? No I am doing engine build routines that result directly in information that improves my ability to treat even NASCAR and F1 guys to stuff they may not know. With a 99.9 % rate of approoval I think it looks like I might just be quite good at that. Also most engine builders like yourself build engines for customers drawn from the general public. When you sell your engines they are pretty much gone from your control. When I sell my engines I almost always get to keep them and as often as not the customer gives them back to me. If that sounds a little puzzling just factor in the most of my work is for corporate entities. I charge them to build an suitable test engine for the experiments/product testing they want doing and then do the tests. After that testing is done there is a usually expensive engine 'left over'. Most of my clients are so pleased with the results they just donate the engine to me as a 'tip' for my work.

I will get to the rest of this post after I have wittled down some of the work overload I have. At this present time I have 3 race BBC head, manifold and general spec work, including the cam and vavlve train to do. Likewise for SB Chevy and 4 head porting jobs on SBF. Add to this 3 pairs of heads for a TFS project, one vintage race Mustang enduro motor, and three Youtube video builds and you can see I am pretty backed up with work. I am 77 years old. Look at the time stamp on this post and then ask yourself if, at my age, you are going to be starting work at this time of day!!!

I will get back with you on the rest of this post later!!!

DV

I dont have MY SFDATA on hand but im sure thats in the thousands of engines, 5-20 pulls per engine. Here are some chassis dyno tunes for you. just the efilive tunes are in the 1700 tunes range. figure 5-10 avg pulls finish tune. missing is CMR, TUNERPRO,CATS,HPTUNERS,SCT. oh and the Carb or mechanical injected stuff, self contained systems etc

I dont have any more time to screenshot, crop, resize! you guys wouldnt believe it if you came to the track and watched him get his stuff pushed in.. you'd still be hopping on whatever excuse you can think of.

i could find the dyno files for the Dynojet and SF on my backup drive if you need proof but its clearly a waste of time.. I have no problem proving I didnt adulter the data by making fancy colorful graphs.

People come to me to go fast.. Not because I spend my time making colorful graphs.
I Travelled 5 states during the covid lockdown for private testing. How many have you? This isnt a hobby to many of these guys that spot the BS and point it out! Its the nutswingers on here that just wont stop! Many of us are fed up, so much bad advice is being given, worthless information too.

Ron from R&R performance has the busiest Dyno in the country, he does 400+ engines a year, i think he is just over 10,000 on his 902... ask him how feasible DV dyno claims are.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

I am reposting this because I put it out in the wrong format so here goes:-
MT-engines said:-
Im not the only one to call him out.. I think a lot of people do not like me because they feel insecure by the fact that a 'book writer' might show them up. Also people tend not to throw stones at small fry. Now big fry - well that's another thing. Critisizing someone who is nearer top of the heap makes them look more knowledgable in the eyes of their very limited adience.

go to yellowbullet where the avg person actually races or owns a shop.. I have three race cars at present. One ready to go. Its an ex Casey Kane car that my late daughter 'Jacque' was going to drive in a vintage NASCAR class. Later this year our 1990 5.0 road race enduro Mustang should be ready for the 2021 season. I personally, have set track records on every major UK road course bar one. MT - could we call that racing or what???

I have a 1300 Sq foot shop which has 2 sophisticated flow benches, 5 down-draft grinding benches, full seat and guide facility, valve seat grinder,milling, turning etc. I think that most people would agree that sounds a bit like - well shall we say - a shop! I have had my own shop now for over 55 years. I am sure few of the miss-informed YB'ers can claim that.

they call it out too! Must be the average person on YB is as bad at doing proper reseach as some on ST!

Here is some proof i actually do this for a living. What in the blazes do you think I do for a living - sit on my butt all-day and wait for high tech stuff to fall out of the sky on me?? No I am doing engine build routines that result directly in information that improves my ability to treat even NASCAR and F1 guys to stuff they may not know. With a 99.9 % rate of approoval I think it looks like I might just be quite good at that. Also most engine builders like yourself build engines for customers drawn from the general public. When you sell your engines they are pretty much gone from your control. When I sell my engines I almost always get to keep them and as often as not the customer gives them back to me. If that sounds a little puzzling just factor in the most of my work is for corporate entities. I charge them to build an suitable test engine for the experiments/product testing they want doing and then do the tests. After that testing is done there is a usually expensive engine 'left over'. Most of my clients are so pleased with the results they just donate the engine to me as a 'tip' for my work.

I will get to the rest of this post after I have wittled down some of the work overload I have. At this present time I have 3 race BBC head, manifold and general spec work, including the cam and vavlve train to do. Likewise for SB Chevy and 4 head porting jobs on SBF. Add to this 3 pairs of heads for a TFS project, one vintage race Mustang enduro motor, and three Youtube video builds and you can see I am pretty backed up with work. I am 77 years old. Look at the (original) time stamp on this post and then ask yourself if, at my age, you are going to be starting work at this time of day!!!

I will get back with you on the rest of this post later!!!

DV
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

From MT-engines post of June 30 2020 @12.11am

People come to me to go fast.. Not because I spend my time making colorful graphs.

People come to me to go fast as well and not by the dozen or so a month but by the thousands. All told I have sold well over a million performance books which have earned those book purchasers many, many race wins.

I have been solely responsible for race and championship wins (Right up to International levels)all over the world with vehicles, some of which, I have never even laid eyes upon! Not just with engine advice but with suspension, transmission, aero and driving advice. Used to be an instructor at Silver Stone, Brands Hatch, Donnington Park, Cadwell Park, and for a short time at VIR in Virginia.

Part of the reason I sell so many books compared to other writers is that not only do I do my research as impeccably as I can but I also show results in a technically superior data absorption manner. (that is why any publisher I have worked for will tell you I am about as much of a pro as they come) The graphs I use are generated by X-Cell programs I have done that allow the data to be assimilated as easily as possible. The publishers love it ( that is why I get bigger advances than any other auto author) and so do the readers who don't have preconceived notions and or some axe to grind.

Teaching, I would guess. is not your field (but, for the record, I have only heard good stuff from folk who have been involved with your area of expertise). Let me tell you and all those others who comment of my 'highly colorful graphs'.
First if you are going to do a job do it to the very best of your ability. I do not write books, or do anything else, with the intent to be second best at it!

Secondly the graphs put out by most workshop test equipment are far from 'publication quality' Firstly the scales are not usually at the right proportions to make them as readable as could be the case. There is not a lot of point writing a tech book that is hard to assimilate the info. For discerning the data, curves which lie on an angle of between 40 and 60 degrees are the easiest to see potential differences being discussed in the text. When was the last time anyone saw a graph produced by a dyno printout that was up to the best publication/data absorption possible? Answer - almost never!

My question here to all those who put out negative comments about my 'colorful graphs' is why am I being put down for doing the job as effectively as possible. I say to you all - write a book and do the graphs and artwork just as you think I should. If the text was OK (chances are it won't be) then the publisher, (who is your customer after all) will tell you go do the graphs again. They are below publication standards for the type of audience we have. Here take one of Vizards books. He is about top of the line in this department.

MT - I know, for almost a fact, that you are one of the ‘good' guys and your post is something that you honestly believe is on the money. But the world I live in and yours are so different that it is difficult for you and, it seems, many posters, to relate too. That is why I am going to all this trouble to set the record straight. I am not picking on you in particular but your post has shone a light on many of the social misconceptions about me. Hopefully next year PRI goes ahead. I hope we can meet - go out to dinner or whatever and swap war stories. However, I am bound and determined to carry on with your post to the bitter end.

That’s it for now. I will get back with the rest of your post later.

DV
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Anybody who thinks a 'çolourful' graph is unhelpful is a dope. There is an old saying, 'A picture is worth a 1000 words'....

DV,
Keep those graphs coming & anything else you think is beneficial.