travis
Guru
Guru
What is this tool?

Post by travis »

Can anybody tell me what this is?
A3FCFC9D-465B-4A08-B431-A89389523C85.jpeg
C4919EFC-C490-4B15-B6B8-75DB9C12891C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: What is this tool?

Post by hoodeng »

Vargus deburring tool.

Cheers.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Early dentist drill?
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

This was in a bunch of stuff we got from my wife’s grandfather when he passed away a few years ago. I also got a ton of ancient appearing snap-on hand tools.

And apparently the Arizona heat is no joke. I threw away a bunch of screwdrivers and other tools because the handles was decomposing
Circlotron
Guru
Guru

Post by Circlotron »

For fitting a windscreen into the groove in the rubber seal that goes around the perimeter?
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

hoodeng wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm Vargus deburring tool.

Cheers.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner :D . Go to https://www.mcmaster.com/deburring-tool ... -scrapers/ for pictures of a similar one. The S-shaped tip has a cutting edge and swivels. You place it at about a 45 degree angle to a sharp edge and draw the tool along the edge to shave off the burr. The tip swivels to follow the edge. The knurled ring on the handle at the base of the tip should be spring loaded, you depress it to release the tip, and often the handle is hollow to store tips.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Ah yes! a pill for every ill.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Have used them for years to remove the burr on the inside of tubing cut with a tubing cutters . Mostly refrigeration line and medical gas lines where you don't want little flakes of metal inside the tubing . It will peel one long strand if used properly and the blade is sharp . The reemer on a tubing cutter is ok for water lines but makes a mess on lines that need more attention to cleanliness and no contaminants. They work great on the edge of sheared sheet metal also. Dan
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

hoodeng wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:00 pm Vargus deburring tool.

Cheers.
YES ... there are many copies throughout the aftermarket but, they all act about the same for removing sharp edges.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

The copies range from rubbish to as good as Vargus. The most common now would be Noga in a toolroom, as good as Vargus.

The tips are another thing though, Vargus uses a short locator groove and smaller 2.5 ø shank. The Noga longer and larger 3.2 shank so they don't interchange.

The blade code is universal though, S10 for Aluminium, S20 for brass and cast iron, S100 for steel and S150 for plastic.

In my previous post with the photo, the uses of those tools to most would be pretty obvious, except for the two brass rod ones on the right. They were surface scraping tools for Westinghouse air brake 'feed' and 'triple valves' used on rolling stock. [when i see them i can smell white lead and tallow, and Stag on tow].

Cheers.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Hi hoodeng,

I'd never seen one with the funnel tip.
I'm guessing that is to debur holes etc from the "other" side, kind of like a reverse counterbore ?
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Hi Dan, yes that is just a hand version of an o/d debur. A lot of guys would have a set of the various cutters in the photo.

I do a lot of heads that require guide shortening for lift, the two cutters on the right are used to cut to height, the guide pins that originally came with these tools broke very easily, the fix was to machine the pilots out of socket head cap screws, haven't broken one since.

The one second from left cuts the seal taper on a guide top that is not having a seal diameter reduction on its o/d, much the same as the hand debur.

Cheers.