Chevy 454 engine block compatibility

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

CoffeeMonster

Chevy 454 engine block compatibility

Post by CoffeeMonster »

Hello everyone, I am not a racer but I am looking to replace a 1992 454TBI engine block that has seized by overheat in a motorhome.
I have a 1990 454-4bbl engine in another motorhome that is falling apart as a donor engine.
My question on it is to know if both engine blocks are compatible? What has to be swapped from or removed from?
I intend to use the TBI intake, distributor on the old block. Do they fit?
The receiver has the current TBI 454.
Mostly I looking for tips to do the job right.
Thanks ahead for all your help.
P.S.
The 454-4bbl has a little over 101,000 Km or 62,500mls
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Chevy 454 engine block compatibility

Post by jed »

one place you could start is casting numbers. see if the casting numbers match. if they do its perty much they will interchange.
oil pans may be different due to chassis. heads could be different. this is a start
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Chevy 454 engine block compatibility

Post by ProPower engines »

CoffeeMonster wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm Hello everyone, I am not a racer but I am looking to replace a 1992 454TBI engine block that has seized by overheat in a motorhome.
I have a 1990 454-4bbl engine in another motorhome that is falling apart as a donor engine.
My question on it is to know if both engine blocks are compatible? What has to be swapped from or removed from?
I intend to use the TBI intake, distributor on the old block. Do they fit?
The receiver has the current TBI 454.
Mostly I looking for tips to do the job right.
Thanks ahead for all your help.
P.S.
The 454-4bbl has a little over 101,000 Km or 62,500mls
Not much difference between the two engines.
the TBI intake is a cast 4bbl intake with an adapter for the throttle body to bolt onto the intake.
The newer block may or may not have a fuel pump mounting place where the carbed engine will.
the heads will be the same.
Check all the front mounting holes for thread size.
Some are 7/16" and some are 3/8" thread. been screwed by that a couple times over the years if ya forget to check.

the newer engine may be hyd. roller cam where the older is flat tappet
the heads crack between the valve seats on those engines so be sure to check.

The other issue is the 2 piece rear seal blocks have the same flywheel bolt pattern as the newer 1 piece seal blocks but the balance is really different so do not mix up the flywheels between the two engines.
Other that that they are all the same basically but the TBI engine will have a bit less cam then the carbed engine from what I have seen because of the vacuum signal required to make the computer read properly
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors