Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

any truth to this story?

Post by Truckedup »

Copied it from another website
" You know, back in the late 90's I was working at Mazda, and we had a Miata come in with a check engine light on. While on the lift the tech noticed a hit of green on the block. Closer inspection we saw it was coolant traces. Turned out the car was built without a headgasket!!!  Never seen anything like that, and the thing ran amazing, and had almost 30K miles on it!  After that was reported to the tech line, we were told to not touch anything, and were descended on by all kinda of world wide engineers, and tech people looking it over, taking pictures, running casting numbers the whole deal. Most of what they found was kinda hush hush.. but we didnt speak Japanese anyways, and most of the guys didnt speak english..  After that, car got put back together,[with a gasket this time!!] and went on its way for many more years of use....  Never heard of another issue coming up, so I can assure you this changed some things majory in production. They saw a issue.. they jumpped, and fixed it.. thats really the key."
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
liqu
Re: any truth to this story?

Post by liqu »

What do you think the deck height was?, any signs of the piston hitting the head?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I worked saturdays at the local Mazda dealer when I was a kid and when the RX3 cars came in for the 50,000 warranty service they just installed a new long block. Free!
Most customers never new the difference but a few really noticed the extra power and no oil useage and asker what was done to the car at 50,000 miles service that was so different then any other tune up service.

But I can believe it can happen.
He had a customer that ordered a crate engine off the internet and it had no head gaskets in it.
Aluminum headed sm blk 383 and we never seen any issues till it was on the dyno and doing a light pulls to break in the rings and get temp into the motor.
At that point I saw some water come out from under a head bolt boss between the block and head.
Did a retorque but it did not stop. Pulled that head and found no gasket. Nothing on the other side either.
It had .025 PTH clearance or we would have heard something on start up. But the machine work was dead flat so I guess it could happen and run fine with enough clearance and not over heated or beat on too much.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Truckedup wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:23 pm Most of what they found was kinda hush hush.. but we didnt speak Japanese anyways, and most of the guys didnt speak english.. 
This reminds me of my brother-in-law's story about the Japanese Okuma techs working on a CNC machining center that would randomly crash. Dale was trying to find out more about the operating system but they couldn't speak English.

Later that night at a club, they had no English difficulties.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
amcenthusiast
Pro
Pro

Post by amcenthusiast »

wasting time and space trying to figure out how gossip works

-statistics knowledge... college level education course

(baloney)
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
YouTube video of 443 XRV8 Gremlin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmFOKRuzUc
Moparboy440

Post by Moparboy440 »

Many airplane engines such as the Rolls-Royce Merlin V12 did not use headgaskets.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

well alot of aircolled may use none or justa copper fire ring