E85 Carb Conversion

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

xxdabroxx

E85 Carb Conversion

Post by xxdabroxx »

I need to have my 4150 HP 750 converted to run on E85 for my 383 build. I’m torn between sending it to Mark Sullen or Pro Systems for the work. Does anyone have a recommendation either way?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: E85 Carb Conversion

Post by Walter R. Malik »

xxdabroxx wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:48 pm I need to have my 4150 HP 750 converted to run on E85 for my 383 build. I’m torn between sending it to Mark Sullen or Pro Systems for the work. Does anyone have a recommendation either way?
It is easier and probably not much more expensive to buy a new one.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

From what I've read the QFT carbs don't come very close out of the box and I've already got a $750 carb. Conversion costs about $440 so about half of what a new carb would cost me and it should be set up very close for my engine.

I guess not many people have gone down the E85 conversion road or don't have experience with converting their existing carbs.
ustahava67

Post by ustahava67 »

If you are looking into doing it yourself, there is a wealth of info at this site... some the best at conversion contributing
http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/forum ... 3f50539ddb
My Dyno is 1320 ft long. Romans 12:2
xxdabroxx

Post by xxdabroxx »

ustahava67 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:55 am If you are looking into doing it yourself, there is a wealth of info at this site... some the best at conversion contributing
http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/forum ... 3f50539ddb
Thanks for that link, I hadn't come across that forum before. Honestly though, being that E85, and alcohol in general, is a new fuel to my I'm going to have someone do it for me. If the car was already running I might do it myself but I'd like initial fire up to go as smooth as possible so that's why I'm leaning towards paying someone to convert it for me.

I've contacted Mark via email and he asked me to call him one evening so I'll be getting in touch with him soon.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

xxdabroxx wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:09 am From what I've read the QFT carbs don't come very close out of the box and I've already got a $750 carb. Conversion costs about $440 so about half of what a new carb would cost me and it should be set up very close for my engine.

I guess not many people have gone down the E85 conversion road or don't have experience with converting their existing carbs.
I have converted a bunch, in my opinion if you have a great running carb, sell it and buy a new E85 carb. if you want to sink the money in to a carb you have it can be taylored to you.

I have fixed a bunch of Pro Systems, and a few Mark Sullens carbs. The only out of the box E85 carbs i have seen that were calibrated properly from the get go were BLP and AED of course those were specific to the engines i built when ordered.

Also be aware that a few % difference in Ethanol content will throw the calibration off. So when dialing it in, make plenty sure that you have good fuel.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim