Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Land Rover Discovery

Post by ProPower engines »

Don't do it.
Any of those things even good used will start to nickel and dime you.
They are like a very expensive MGB. They start with little things then bam out comes the wallet.

Stay away unless you want to be married to the thing and loose the women cause your under the hood not her.lol
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I have a relative in the retail car business. He refuses to sell a used Land Rover to anyone he knows personally. "If you can't afford a new one, you sure as shite can't afford a used one out of warranty."
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

GLHS60 wrote:Anything I've ever heard about Land Rovers has been negative.
I try to be reasonably patriotic ..... not jingoistic ..... but if I was in the market for such a vehicle, there'd be others makes I'd maybe look at first

By no means an expert on the used car market but anecdotal reports I've heard suggests, as said, ongoing costs can spiral ..... so tread wisely

By complete coincidence I was told of the following, just a couple of weeks ago, when I dropped by :

The good friend, who rebuilds driveline assemblies, actually stocks diffs for late LRs, about the only item he does as he's mostly an emergency VOR type business ........ he also buys all available 'core' for same as well, which might tell you enough

Last time I drove in AB/BC I hired a 4WD V6 Sante Fe, and it seemed a decent motor ...... my wife had the equivalent diesel UK model and apart from rear wheel bearings and a broken coil spring at around 100k, which were pennies, not a lot was spent on it
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

ok , huge experience here, one of my guys a master tech here, unless you have unlimited money , a service will never be under 400e more like 900-1200, i told a pretty big farmer to off load one as it would cost over 6k in the nest 8 or so months , didn't listen , it done 9k in 9 months and no its not items live engine of box, all smal shit , so say something like wishbone bushes , bolt siezed in the bushes , the bolts have to be cut out with a air hax saw , no room , couple of bushings all around 1200 fitted , computers go for sport ,

its a computer for the reverse lights , its box out to do which they charge 800 labour on the box alone plus the rest , turbos are body off the chassie , no my giy is unbelievable , he can have a body off in 45min , but i wouldn't like to be paying for it ,

if he does go for it get back to me on it , you guys are probally looking at petrol do
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

We work on a few of them,they will bury you.if you trade in every couple years you'll probably be ok they are a status symbol.Junk as far as I'm concerned.