Custom one off serpentine pulley needed

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Custom one off serpentine pulley needed

Post by Bill Chase »

Contacted March performance and they said no dice. I realize a local machine shop could make it, but I'm trying to not pay 300 or more for a very basic pulley. Any North American firms still doing semi custom pulleys for a reasonable price?

All I need is 84-91 Corvette water pump pulley, exact size dimensions, but made with grooves. Converted to a standard rotation water pump and to keep it from slipping belt tension is tighter than I prefer. I have an extra pump and crank pulley I can send so it can be reverse engineered.
cad
Re: Custom one off serpentine pulley needed

Post by cad »

Try http://www.jonesracingproducts.com/. I believe that is who my buddy used for a custom pulley.

Clark
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I'm just using the factory pulley atm smooth but belt ribs riding on it, seems several C4 guys have done it w/o issue. Also an UD crank pulley tho

March has a ribbed pulley that is close in depth but larger diameter(I know you want same dia but just an example if they also have one closer to stock dia) and it could be shimmed at the pulley or pump to make work. Can't rem what one when I researched it awhile back and March wouldn't reply to my multiple request for specs to be exact before buying it(they've never been helpful when I try to work out some diff pulley combo). I ended up getting a used thirdgen smooth stock performance UD WP pulley, bit large dia than the C4 stock one, bit deeper and I'll space the pump like 1/4" if I rem right and shim the pulley if needed, I don't plan on doing it for awhile since I wanna get my C3 going before winter.

Even if you could find one that was just a bit on the shallow side, could have the pump milled or try and relocate the hub some on the shaft. Just depends how much meat the pump casting has or length of the hub shaft.

I was using a long pump on the SBC that I dropped into my Fox and I went with a motor plate, so just got a short pump and the right length spacer to make up for the plate.

Ultimately I'd like to convert my C4 to V-belt once I go electric power steering pump, I have a better selection of V belt short pulleys already.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 am custom pulleys for a reasonable price?
I understand your meaning but it is a bit of a contradiction is it not?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Dave Koehler wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:37 am
Bill Chase wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 am custom pulleys for a reasonable price?
I understand your meaning but it is a bit of a contradiction is it not?
its a slight modification of an existing design. they normally charge 75-100 for. I am not opposed to paying 150-175 each for them, just hoping to not pay an insanely bloated price for what amounts to basically an off the shelf design with slight modifications. March said they couldn't touch it. was hoping a similar company could, if i had to pay typical machine shop rates to have it done the cost would quickly get insanely out of the scope of the project.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

FWIW
Here is what you are probably running into.
CAD/CAM can exponentially eat up gobs more time than the actual machining.
This has to be covered whether it is a one off or 10K parts.
You likely got politely turned away because they knew you could not cover that time for a one off.
If you have a detailed print the job gets cheaper.
Even better is having a cad file they can start with.
The other big bite today is that AL material cost has gone nuts.

Having said all that if they see a future for that pulley it may be on the shelf next year.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."