Patriot Exhaust header

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

c1500sbc
Pro
Pro

Patriot Exhaust header

Post by c1500sbc »

I have a set of long tube Patriot headers in my 383. They developed a leak at the flange. Originally thought it was a bad gasket but can clearly see a crack around the tube where it meets the flange. Can this be welded with any success? I just would hate to pay an exhaust shop 100 bucks or so and it not hold up. Too bad they are two months out of warranty. Any opinions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Patriot Exhaust header

Post by BOOT »

Looks like mild steel. I've welded cracks up with my mig on rusty used shortys that lasted yrs until I took them off. Actually looks like it's been matched at the ID some, normally I weld the outside before I grind the ID/flange on set.

I don't know what welders charge but I'd call around for an estimate before I just go to some exhaust shop. I use to know a guy who would tig that kinda stuff for $5-20 before I finally bought a mig. They weld a lot at muffler places but they don't gotta be good welds. Took my truck in to guys that I've known who worked at this one for many years and had to reweld it myself not long after LOL

If you put a bead on the other side of the flange it should be beyond the thin matched area where the pipe was formed to fit the flange hole, may need to be ground a bit on the inside after. At the most you'd need two beads and I'd run it. Is $100 because your gonna have them all welded up before any others crack?
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

c1500sbc wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:50 pm I have a set of long tube Patriot headers in my 383. They developed a leak at the flange. Originally thought it was a bad gasket but can clearly see a crack around the tube where it meets the flange. Can this be welded with any success? I just would hate to pay an exhaust shop 100 bucks or so and it not hold up. Too bad they are two months out of warranty. Any opinions?

Oxygen/Acetylene gas welding, (not brazing), done correctly will hold-up the best.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

I remember reading an interview with Jere Stahl some years back saying he always silver brazed not brass rod brazed the tube into the flange . he said it handled the heat cycle expansion/contraction and vibration the best he found .That's what I remember anyways . Dan