NHRA Injected Nitro Funny Car

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

RAS
Pro
Pro

NHRA Injected Nitro Funny Car

Post by RAS »

Well, the NHRA is slowly warming up to the idea of having an Injected Nitro Funny Car class. It's about time! Want to go fast for cheap, well here it is. I figure it cost at least $500,000. to put a Pro Mod on the track. Car Truck Trailer and Parts. That's Insane. Just think, a used FC chassis, Block and Heads can get you started on a 5.50 second 265 mph ride. It's low cost to run, one set of rods and valve springs per season and your week end is oil, plugs, tires and fuel. This deal leaves off high idle and hits 6500 at the stripe. It's a money maker and a track promoters dream. The best part is it's safer than the wall bangers in pro mod. 5000HP with a sprung rear suspension is so F'n ignorant. They wonder why they all crash? Do it NHRA. Very cool.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Re: NHRA Injected Nitro Funny Car

Post by Dave Koehler »

RAS wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:07 pm Well, the NHRA is slowly warming up to the idea of having an Injected Nitro Funny Car class. It's about time! Want to go fast for cheap, well here it is. I figure it cost at least $500,000. to put a Pro Mod on the track. Car Truck Trailer and Parts. That's Insane. Just think, a used FC chassis, Block and Heads can get you started on a 5.50 second 265 mph ride. It's low cost to run, one set of rods and valve springs per season and your week end is oil, plugs, tires and fuel. This deal leaves off high idle and hits 6500 at the stripe. It's a money maker and a track promoters dream. The best part is it's safer than the wall bangers in pro mod. 5000HP with a sprung rear suspension is so F'n ignorant. They wonder why they all crash? Do it NHRA. Very cool.
Like all things NHRA that will hold up for about 10 minutes or one national event, whichever comes first. :wink:
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

RAS wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:07 pm Well, the NHRA is slowly warming up to the idea of having an Injected Nitro Funny Car class. It's about time! Want to go fast for cheap, well here it is. I figure it cost at least $500,000. to put a Pro Mod on the track. Car Truck Trailer and Parts. That's Insane. Just think, a used FC chassis, Block and Heads can get you started on a 5.50 second 265 mph ride. It's low cost to run, one set of rods and valve springs per season and your week end is oil, plugs, tires and fuel. This deal leaves off high idle and hits 6500 at the stripe. It's a money maker and a track promoters dream. The best part is it's safer than the wall bangers in pro mod. 5000HP with a sprung rear suspension is so F'n ignorant. They wonder why they all crash? Do it NHRA. Very cool.
NHRA already had that fuel injected nitro class funny car years ago. I don't remember the engine damage being too severe , problem is NHRA can't leave anything alone, just look at Pro Mods ,the cost of running a Pro Mod is rediculas , every week there is an adjustment of the rules.
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Post by miniv8 »

The blower guys in TAD have had enough I've seen. They cant keep up with the injected cars.
There are calls for something either limiting the injected cars or giving the blowers more room for improvement.

injected floppers would be really cool.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

The deal here is it's really affordable and low maintenance. I can see car counts of 30 plus cars everywhere. The noise and fire are the hook. Back in the late 60s and early 70s there were dozens around Chicago. The issue is what would NHRA list for rules. Weight, Clutch, Fuel Pump, Cubic Inch, Body type, rear gearing, and NO wings! Spoilers yes, but NO wings. No side spill plates. I can see maybe a 6.00 et rule. That way you could run different types of engines and still be competitive. Very cool.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I think you are under the impression that NHRA is proactive and on your side. Unless someone else foots the bill it will never get sanctioned.
They play the game where you spend your time and your money to come "exhibit" over and over for years.
That will show them and the world, right? Nope. You are the down time entertainment.
You will get no TV time or publicity for several years until they pin down a money man.
Follow the historical path of pro mod to see what I am talking about.

It can happen on the outside via a group like the Funny Car Chaos.
With a group like the FCC the fun and supposedly less expense will happen. Once sanctioned the fun will fade away and money will rule once more.
It is a place to run and refine your combo until the glendora gods deem you worthy. Be prepared for an expense increase if it happens.
http://funnycarchaos.com/index.html

IHRA was the sanctioning body that took a shot at injected nitro funny. After some teething Scott Weis and the Cavallari boys ran away from the Alky cars. That did not sit well of course, especially with the ethanol sponsor and the nitro went away as quickly as it appeared. It was fun times for a moment. FWIW the Cavallari boys was the most fun as it was put together with whatever was laying around the shop. They looked at it as more of a lark than making history.

Found some history.
http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-rac ... he-weisguy
https://www.competitionplus.com/drag-ra ... ch-history

I am all for anything nitro but have seen and lived through much of the nhra way of doing things so I get a bit jaded.
NOW, make those face in the dash supercomp cars run some nitro and that might be entertainment for at least one weekend. =D>
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

You can see the nitro deal working very well in Injected dragster. The combination is already done. It's awesome. NHRA should put up a 25K bonu$ to the first racer to run a 4.99! Incentive's work. The blown alcohol guys are torturing their equipment. 9000 rpm leave? springs and rods? piston speed? Geez for what? Injected Nitro and a no pulling the heads off rule.