Widening aluminum wheels

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

582r10
Pro
Pro
Widening aluminum wheels

Post by 582r10 »

Was wondering if any of you guys have done this on wheels you raced with. When I had my shop I welded many a steel wheel and widened a few. I wouldn't do aluminum wheels because I felt like it was a liability problem. Now I've got wheels that don't come in anything wider that 10" and I really want 12" wheels for my current project. Thoughts?
gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: Widening aluminum wheels

Post by gunt »

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I've seen it done with alum wheels, can't rem where but I know they weren't steel or 3 piece wheels.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

582r10 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:32 pm Was wondering if any of you guys have done this on wheels you raced with. When I had my shop I welded many a steel wheel and widened a few. I wouldn't do aluminum wheels because I felt like it was a liability problem. Now I've got wheels that don't come in anything wider that 10" and I really want 12" wheels for my current project. Thoughts?
Easy.
Years ago, we cut the centers out of 5 1/2" steel wheels and welded them to 7" shells, with
the proper offset. The work was done by a wheel manufacturer in Bedford Park, IL; unfortunately they are
no longer in business.

A second choice:
Email: Info@TheWheelsmith.net
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

I know that american racing will make their torque thrust wheels wider then 10in but are special order only I know I've seem them in 12in and I think they will make them in 15in also..