New fuel tank

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

New fuel tank

Post by Alaskaracer »

So my aluminum fuel tank is suffering from the good old methanol blues. I had it made when I was in Florida and the corrosion started there. Back here in Colorado it's not so bad, but still enough that I'm going to swap it out just to prevent issues in the future. I'm going to build a new one from stainless, but having trouble deciding on what thickness to use. I've measured .075, .063, and .050, and it seems the .050 is what I'm wanting. It's still decent enough thickness to hold up well, but not so thick that my tank will weight a million pounds.

What thickness would you use to build a tank if you were doing it? Keep in mind, it's triangular shaped, fits behind my seat, and holds approx 7 gallons.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
In-Tech
Vendor

Re: New fuel tank

Post by In-Tech »

Build aluminum, hard coat anodize. Dun.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: New fuel tank

Post by Alaskaracer »

Did aluminum, wasn't able to find anybody that would/could hard coat it. Issue was getting electrode into the tank. I was told by everybody I talked to that they couldn't guarantee complete coverage inside the tank where it needs it the most. Out of almost 20 different places I called, only one said they would attempt it. Stainless solves all those problems....without the hassle....and doing it in aluminum again and getting the anodizing done will cost more than doing it in stainless.....so no, not going aluminum again...
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer