Shelf Life of Zero Clearance Sealants

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

chimpvalet
Pro
Pro
Shelf Life of Zero Clearance Sealants

Post by chimpvalet »

Simple question here: is the shelf life of 0 clearance sealants - eg Loctite 518/588 - something to be wary of?

Cheers
Steve
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Shelf Life of Zero Clearance Sealants

Post by hoodeng »

Henkel products usually have the use by date marked on the tube/bottle. One consideration is the storage temp range for some of them.
That said, some of mine are out of date which has not stopped them working to what i need.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Yah I've used thread locker that is who knows how old. Tho I do now try and keep it in the workshop and not leave it out in the garage all winter But still use some of that stuff that was out there for a decade or more LOL
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

We're not allowed to even have expired products on the shop floor at work, so I'm familiar with the Henkel line.

Allegedly, you can send it back to the factory for "recycling." Yeah, ok. That tells me two things; that they know it lasts longer than their expiration date and that the expiration date is merely to sell more product.

The joke around my shop is to just dump all of the expired stuff into the newest bottle with a good expiration date.

At home I've used stuff years past its expiration date with no ill effects. FWIW
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Used to work for a NASA contractor and was present when they were scrapping two sealed cases of 8 oz red Lock-Tite. NASA requires an 'expiration date' on EVERYTHING liquid, probably including water. I asked to help by carrying the stuff out to my car. Used it for raffle prizes at car clubs and never a single complaint. That was 40 years ago and the 2 bottles I kept in my garage still set up as they should last month. Talk about $2000 toilet seats and $250 hammers....
ec1

Post by ec1 »

I used up half a bottle of the green sleeve retainer that had to be 30 or 40 years old that I inherited. Think it was Loctite 640. Looked smelled tasted acted worked like new. It was always stored around 60 to 75 degrees as far as I can tell.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jsgarage wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:08 pm Used to work for a NASA contractor and was present when they were scrapping two sealed cases of 8 oz red Lock-Tite. NASA requires an 'expiration date' on EVERYTHING liquid, probably including water. I asked to help by carrying the stuff out to my car. Used it for raffle prizes at car clubs and never a single complaint. That was 40 years ago and the 2 bottles I kept in my garage still set up as they should last month. Talk about $2000 toilet seats and $250 hammers....
One of my old contacts in California would obtain government surplus materials and locate likely customers for them.

It has been many years but IIRC you were enjoined from circuitously reselling it to the government -- they were wise to that.

I recall many, many, many thousands of gallons of Naval paint. Containers of Fluorinert being resold to chip manufacturers. Numerous other items.

So, enquiring minds need to know, what does Loctite 640 taste like? :lol:
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!