289 High Performance Carburetor Core Needed

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
289 High Performance Carburetor Core Needed

Post by DaveMcLain »

I'm needing a core for a 289 High Performance build that I'm doing for a customer who's restoring a Mustang. I think that the number I need is a C4OF-AL or possibly a C5OF-L.

His car is a very late 1964 production with a generator, 5 bolt block, K code 4 speed convertible. I have the engine build all finished (totally stock except for an original set of Cobra Powered By Ford valve covers and Cobra oil pan). He bought that stuff back when he first got the car which he bought new.

Over the years that he drove the car he had a variety of inductions including a dual Holley setup but he wants to go back to the original stock 4100 Ford carburetor and cast iron intake manifold. The only parts he hasn't kept since the car was new are the exhaust manifolds, valve covers and the carburetor!

I've been searching around as have some friends who do nothing but carburetors but I have not found a core. I've heard they can fetch a ton of money so if you have one please let me know.

Dave McLain
McLain's Automotive
Cuba MO

573 885 3920
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 289 High Performance Carburetor Core Needed

Post by ProPower engines »

Dave
Do you have any identifing numbers other then the tag number. I have seen lots of those carbs around here lately but missing FOMOCO ID tags.
Is there any numbers/symbles that will ID the carbs you need.
Let me know
Dave
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The one I need came manual choke only in a Mustang. It does not have the hot idle compensator on the backside of the choke tower. It's a 1.21 venturi size not the 1.08 and it's got 1 9/16 throttles.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

DaveMcLain wrote:The one I need came manual choke only in a Mustang. It does not have the hot idle compensator on the backside of the choke tower. It's a 1.21 venturi size not the 1.08 and it's got 1 9/16 throttles.

The number 1.21 is that the number on the outside of the float bowl on the frony dricers side of the carb?
Also is there any marks on the body that would denote manual choke as some that had it still had the air port drilled in the carb where the by-metal spring housing is and did it use a 1/4" hot air feed tube on the passanger side of the carb?

There are a few local guys here that have boxes of carbs who I get pieces from I just need to know some other details.
Would you have any pics of the correct carb. Being a ford guy I can relate to these old carbs as I have worked with tons over the years.
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

At the shop I have some pictures from a book that the guys who are doing the restoration work have which shows what the carburetor should look like. The one in the picture has no extra holes drilled to supply air for the choke. The place up on the air horn where filtered air can be drawn down through the manifold to heat the choke stat is not drilled. 1.21 is what's stamped on the front drivers side of the carburetor body, yes..
user-z68766209

Post by user-z68766209 »

Dave
give this guy a call he should help you..
tell him Brian from Dakota......
Aldridge Motorsports..Portland OR.
Denny
503 284 8484
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

Here are the pictures I have of the carburetor that I'm needing, sorry that they are a scan of a scan..
HP289 Carb 1 sml.JPG
HP289 Carb 2 sml.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Dave
Just a heads up I checked over all the carbs my customer has and they are all for an automataic choke
He had no bodies that were manual choke :cry:
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Dave,
The number on the side of the casting ins 112 not 121. Yes these carbs have shot up in value especially those for the auto trans used on Hertz GT350s. This has in turn caused all of the manual choke Hi Po carbs to go up in "cost". "112" castings were typically used on 390 / 428 engines prompting "clones" to be made. The manual choke parts can come from a 2bbl truck carb.