T-85 3 speed overdrive.or non overdrive.ford,. Mercury Chrysler Pontiac

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Coolhandluke
T-85 3 speed overdrive.or non overdrive.ford,. Mercury Chrysler Pontiac

Post by Coolhandluke »

Looking for t-85 transmission overdrive non overdrive Ford , Mercury, Pontiac, Chrysler early 60s
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: T-85 3 speed overdrive.or non overdrive.ford,. Mercury Chrysler Pontiac

Post by PackardV8 »

What's your application? The T85s were used in just about every '50s-early'60s V8 US car, maybe save Cadillac and Buick. I've seen them in IH trucks, Studebaker cars and trucks, Packard cars, AMC cars, et al.

Anyway, I've got a couple and know where to get more; difficult to believe, but there are still a couple of NOS units out there. But given there are three different bolt patterns, three different gear ratios, five different tailshafts, it would help to find the one which is best-suited to your end use.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Jack,

Do you have a line on any B/W T-85/R11 OD three-speed sticks for a Chevy bell-housing bolt pattern?

I might be interested in one IF it doesn't cost an arm and a leg??

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

I've never seen a T85 with a Chevrolet bolt pattern; it was never an OEM option. The Ford bolt pattern is by far the most common.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Jack,

What 3-speed stick overdrive transmission did GM install behind their higher horsepower V-8's before they dropped the option in something like '64 or so?

I was going to order one in my '67 Camaro 350SS/RS and was told they stopped selling them!

pdq67
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

My brother just picked up low mile 69 Firebird 350 3sp survivor. He saidit was a Ford Dearborn HD 3sp.
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:37 pm Jack,

What 3-speed stick overdrive transmission did GM install behind their higher horsepower V-8's before they dropped the option in something like '64 or so?

I was going to order one in my '67 Camaro 350SS/RS and was told they stopped selling them!

pdq67
Old post, I know, but will answer anyway......

Paul, from the late '50s through early '60s, GM used the Borg Warner T-85 heavy duty 3-speed transmission behind the Pontiac Super Duty engines. Because the Pontiac has such a broad powerband, some of the racers in the early '60s chose to stay with the 3-speed rather than opt for a 4-speed and have to shift an extra time.

The Pontiac version of the T-85 will bolt up to standard GM bellhousings from the '50s through the '80s. Including Chevrolet. The Chevy and MOPAR versions of the T-85 were not offered with overdrive, though. Fords, Studebakers, Packards and AMCs fitted with the T-85 had overdrive as an option.

If you want a T-85 with OD for your Chevy, you can begin with a Ford T-85 with OD from an early '60s big block Ford Galaxie and change out the gear case, input shaft and front bearing retainer for the Pontiac pieces and it will bolt up. I have done that a couple of times many moons ago. You will need to shorten your driveshaft, use a Ford front yoke and adjust the position of your transmission crossmember to suit.

This can be done with the T-85N Ford truck transmission as well, but since mid-'60s Ford trucks have lower 1st gear ratio and different tooth count than passenger cars, the tooth count on the Pontiac Super Duty passenger car input shaft does not match up. I have one of the T-85N transmissions and a Pontiac T-85 gear case here. Found a NOS early GM T-10 4-speed input shaft that is supposed to have same tooth count as T-85N but haven't pulled the transmission apart to see if it will fit yet.

As 408swinger noted, GM used Ford (AKA Dearborn) HD top loader 3-speeds behind 1st generation Firebirds and big block Camaros with stick shift trannys when the 4-speed was not ordered. These are strong transmissions and have a synchronized 1st gear, but were not offered with OD in the F-body GM cars.

Hope this helps,

Harry
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Paul Dean McConnell, 73, of Columbia, MO passed away on Sunday, October 18, 2020 while vacationing with friends at Table Rock Lake.
So much to do, so little time...
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Thanks for letting me know, rfoll. Very sad to learn of Paul's passing. Last PM he sent me was Tuesday Oct 13, 2020 @ 6:40 pm.

So long for now, Paul...... See ya on the other side, Bro.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/obit ... d80dd.html

G-d speed,

Harry