WTB: LS 2.00"/1.55" valves

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

turbo camino
Expert
Expert
WTB: LS 2.00"/1.55" valves

Post by turbo camino »

Looking for valves, preferably good used originals. I could get by with only 4 intakes but would prefer a full set.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Re: WTB: LS 2.00"/1.55" valves

Post by turbo camino »

Bump.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

N/M, I managed to straighten them with a little heat and percussive maintenance.
DON'T PANIC
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

With as cheap as factory replacements are I cant see how chancing a dropped valve is worth it. I haven't looked but I would think they would be all over Ebay.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I did look on ebay and they're not. "Factory replacements", meaning actual GM part number 12563063, are ~$22 each. Aftermarket stock replacement valves are inexpensive, yes, but also cheap. The OE valves are much higher quality than the Melling/Qualcast/Enginetech stuff.
DON'T PANIC
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Call SI valve in California.
They have some stock size valves in stainless. About $8 each
Or get some 2.02 and 1.60 and turn them down to size needed. been there done that.
Or check out the SBI valve selection. They do stock replacement and good quality 1 piece valves and hard tips.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

I bought Manley valves, the above about a torch and hammer was to see if anyone still used this subforum.

I also picked up some SBI stock replacement valves just to see, and they're junk.
DON'T PANIC
lewy-d

Post by lewy-d »

what makes the SBI valves junk?
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Stem sizes vary by almost half a thou amongst this 'set', from .3133 to .3137. I admit I am extra picky but come on, that's just not acceptable for new parts made on modern equipment in the 21st century.

SBI claims stem diameter of .3136": http://www.sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail ... ype=Valves

When I see a measurement that specifies down to the tenth, I assume they wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it. If they claimed '8mm, nominal' or something nonspecific I'd have no complaint (because I would have avoided them).

I have a thread in the Tech section about this saga, I hate to keep cluttering up the FS board with this.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62165
DON'T PANIC
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

After reading the other thread 1 thing you may want to do just for your own piece of mind.
I took a head that used .3415 stem manley valves in and after comparing stem sizes I did not find more then a 10th between 16 valves.
That said I honed the intake guides for .0009" clearance and the exhaust for .0013"
Again this was after measuring and comparing all valves for taper and runout.
Then placed the head on a heater and got it to about 180 degrees then compared clearance.
You could not wiggle the valve in the guides before but both valves sure appeared loose when warmed up. I quickly stuck a gauge in them and they had grown about maybe a bit more .001" when warmed up.

I am of the same opinion as you with the stem's sizing quality and it seems that when other brands of valves you must get 2 sets to end up with an acceptable set to use based of stem size and straightness.

But the straighter the valve stem and the more concentric the face is to the guide center line the better the engine will run.
I have seen and track tested several competitors looser valve jobs and the work that is held to the tightest spec's would always out preform the looser tolerances every time. And on the dyno it always shows more power and rpm capability.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors