WTB SBC torque link intake

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

gordon
HotPass
HotPass

WTB SBC torque link intake

Post by gordon »

Want to buy SBC torque link intake.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Re: WTB SBC torque link intake

Post by bill jones »

--I have one that has been used maybe one year on my 406 ElCamino

---it has some modifications

---I'd sell it for $400 cash money
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

I am interested , would you send me a PM about the extent of Modifications? Intend to put on 383 with the TFS retro heads and Jones hyd roller cam. 10.0 compression.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---I wanted to totally divide the left side from the right side
---and lengthen the 4 divider walls---without welding.

---So I used screws the best I could to securely hold the pieces---and had no failure issues.
--------------------------------------------------------
---the windows were just another bright idea
---thinking I could use a timing light to stop the motion of the flow and maybe learn something
---but that timing light idea doesn't work because the bright light reflection ruins the view.

---You can sort of see the basic flow paths at low rpm but it's hard to tell whats really happening at any much higher rpm.
-------------------------------------------------------
---I drove this vehicle every day and needed some carburetor heat even though I actually was using a dual snorkel air filter heated by the heat manifolds
---so I made this spacer and installed a couple of 1/2" stainless steel tubes up to the spacers to feed the two channels on the underside of the spacer.

---the hot air only uses the left side shown of the two L channels.

---I never tried an RPM manifold---had run 3 versions of the old Edlebrock C4B---C3Bx's etc which all worked OK.

---this Mcfarland manifold was OK once I got the heat up to the carburetor so it would run in the winter time.
---The only thing different about the Mcfarland Torklink manifold is it felt a lot smoother to drive.

---I was NOT interested in power over about 5500
---but I was wanting absolutely no driveability issues and instantaneous response at any time in any gear
---with out pinging issues on pump gas.

---The vehicle had a Saginaw 4speed with an overdrive unit from a Saginaw 3 speed and 3.70 gears
---so there was the instant kick down one gear whenever I was in overdrive.

---that overdrive was a pretty trick deal even for cruising around between stop lights.

---I can't say the Mcfarland manifold was anything great
---but it wasn't bad except in cold weather until I installed the neat crossover.
-------------------------------------------------
---the cylinder heads I was using were the mid 1980's swirl port SBC Vortec heads
---and these were seriously limiting the maximum power because the intake air flow was so poor and the engine wanted to rattle really bad if you had more than about 34 total timing
---even a half a degree turned it into a serious rattler so each fill up of gas was an ignition timing challenge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---from my experiences which mostly were daily street driven 400 small block in my old 67 El Caminos.
---I always had fairly small but fully ported heads and the manifolds I used always ended up being 180 type with full dividers in the plenum.

---I was not looking for a race engine
---just a normal old engine that was about the most impressive thing most people I took for a ride had seen lately.
---These engines always hit a wall at about 5000rpm which I felt was the divided intake plenum along
with the small ports which I guess were something like 180cc max
---and the small hydraulic cam which I ran from 230 @.050" to 224 & .050".
--------------------------------------------------
---Idle quality and instantaneous drivability from ANY condition meaning that if you had to accelerate right now you could without having to shift down a gear in the 4speed first
---and my personal tuning requirement was that it would legally pass an emission for up to about a 1983 350
---So it sounds sort of like that is what you are looking for.
-------------------------------------------------
---I feel that when you install a 180 manifold and expect to run 5000 or more that the manifold and the 90 degree turns of the intake flow to get into and thru the plenum is always the choker

---so I wasted way too much time porting those 180 manifolds---BIG---to get the top end power without loosing any of the neat driveability.
---During the course of all of this I bought the small version of the Torklink and modified it so that I had exhaust crossover heat up to the carburetor and I modified the divider in the plenum so that it was 100% divided.
---I left the ports 100% as cast and tried it.
---I saw NO major power difference over a 180 manifold that I had ported to the nuts---but the engine actually felt better/smoother around 4000rpm
----------------------------------------------------------
---I was running a set of corkscrew early swirl vane 1986 early Vortec heads that I had ported out to get the intake flow up from the puny stock flow of about 153cfm at .500" lift
---got them up to 169cfm at .500" (and had 172cfm on the exhaust at .500")
---yet I was wanting to still keep the effects of the swirl vane and I wanted to keep the high swirl.
---------------------------------------------------
---Having all that swirl definitely affected the ignition timing to where I needed 16 at idle and 26 max and all in by 2000rpm.
---This engine never ever pinged
---yet when it was time to ping it hammered REAL BAD
---and that was a 2 to 3 degrees of timing window.
------------------------------------------------------
---The Weiand 180 ported manifold was much more tolerant of that timing knock than the Torklink.
-----------------------------------------------
---I have tested various manifolds where you install a manifold and carburetor on a head on the flowbench that you have set to flow 206cfm and then measure the flow losses.
---I see 206 cfm head ports drop right to 172cfm when you bolt a 180 manifold on there and something like a Vic JR will drop to 191cfm.
---My ported Weiand would only drop to 185 and the Torklink dropped to 182
---a stock 2101 Edelbrock dropped to 177cfm
---a stock Edelbrock RPM Performer drops to 184.

---These are averages of all 8 cylinders.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

viewtopic.php?t=52861

---this link shows some photos
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

Bill that is the manifold I am looking for , if it was for my own deal I would buy it . It is for another person and they would not go for the alterations solely on looks. I was hoping for a nearly unaltered one in this case. On another note, If you ever offer your books in a downloadable form or on a thumb drive I would sure love to purchase the info in the books you wrote.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

I have a almost new Torq Link. 1 dyno session only. Still have the box too. Track deemed illegal so never did run. I’ll look tomorrow to see which part number it is, and will post.
You are only limited by your machinery and your imagination!
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

I forgot to say this is stock no modifications.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

TLM 1000 Torque Link Intake see above for description Call 828-four-two-one-6778
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

Money sent , Thank you Dan.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Just wanted to remark on my sale to member
Gordon. Very good to deal with and prompt payment. Thanks : 👍
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

Dan , just unpacked the torque link intake .Arrived in excellent shape , Thank you . Very pleased to do business with you.
C.A.R.E.

Post by C.A.R.E. »

Glad it arrived in good shape. If I can help you in any way you have my number.
Bigrod662

Post by Bigrod662 »

I'm in the market for the same intake if anyone has another one.