What's a complete '70 351" CJ worth today?

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

What's a complete '70 351" CJ worth today?

Post by PackardV8 »

From what I hear, the 351" CJs are difficult to find any more. We don't build these, but we were offered a complete, supposedly STD bore engine. He's a friend, so what should I tell him to ask for it?

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Re: What's a complete '70 351" CJ worth today?

Post by BCjohnny »

FWIW ...... there were no '70 351 CJ engines made

351 CJs (Q code) came out in the middle of '71

If it's definitely a '70 it'll be a 4v (M code)

The major bits that really matter, blocks and heads, are different ......

If it's a '70 / early '71 M code it should be 2 bolt main block with 4v CC heads*, square bore mani

If it's a '71 Q code it should be 4 bolt main block* with 4v OC heads, spread bore mani

The differences affect the perceived value, the asterisked parts are generally considered 'premium' parts

Despite what you may read, a couple of things in particular, the only way to be sure is to pull the pan & mani :

Most, if not all, '4 bolts' are D2AE-CA blocks (except '71 Boss D0AE), but not all D2 blocks are '4 bolts', most aren't, at some point even the 4v spec D2 blocks became plain Jane 2v spec D2 '2 bolts' that ran concurrently ...... it's kinda obvious what you're looking for

All 4v heads should have a '4' in the top corner, but if in conjunction with a 'dot' this doesn't always mean OC as is often incorrectly stated ...... look under the intake port floor in the valley (with a mirror) for an 'N', 'GA', 'DA' etc

E&OE ..... let the arguing begin ....... lol
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Those engines complete have sold for as little as 200.00 to as much as 2500.00 asking price from what I have seen over the years but you will find some people trying to sell the blocks for 800.00 but like I said trying to and more than likely those just get to sit around until the right person pops up.
fordified
Pro
Pro

Post by fordified »

70-71 closed chamber heads typically sell between $500-$750. Open chamber heads are about half that. Even a 4-bolt block isn't worth too much, maybe $500 on a good day. The cranks and rods are almost worthless.

4-barrel intakes may be worth $250-$500 for someone who runs stock eliminator or someone doing a restoration.

The parts are not that rare and don't fetch a premium. A Boss 429, a 427 hi-riser or a cammer would be a different story.
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

I wouldn't pay more than its worth to you. Getting involved with something you're not familiar with usually doesn't go well.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks