Question for you guys that have sold equipment on s.t.

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

bunner engines

Question for you guys that have sold equipment on s.t.

Post by bunner engines »

Sorry if in wrong place but the question is directly related here.

A gentleman is interested in buying a piece of equipment I'm selling. He doesn't know me and I don't know him
. I'm on East coast he is out west
. so how do you handle the payment transactions so that both parties feel comfortable ? I don't deal with PayPal .
Both parties are members here on s.t.
Thanks.
it always cost less to do it right the first time!
Bumps440

Re: Question for you guys that have sold equipment on s.t.

Post by Bumps440 »

you might look into A thing called Zelle. it is available through most banks through your account and the other parties. Payment is secure so you dont have to worry about that. He might worry if you will actually ship the item. i have used it to transfer money to people. Paypal want to get their share so I only use then if I have to like E bay.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

You can over night courier a money order to the seller.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

That is a tough issue. I am in NC and have sold some stuff on this forum and Facebook's "machine shop & equipment sales" site. I have sold items to people in Montana, West Virginia and Utah. All three were trusting enough to mail me a check and I shipped their items after receiving the check.
I was actually surprised that all three were willing to mail a check in good faith, I do have a business that is somewhat verifiable. Probably going be more challenging for an individual.
bunner engines

Post by bunner engines »

I've actually been in business for 30 years with a great reputation but he don't know me so I guess he will just have to have the faith or ill keep the machine.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

How about a bank to bank wire transfer?

Tom
bunner engines

Post by bunner engines »

I guess I should say, I'm not worried about the payment so much because the machine is not going to be shipped until the funds are received. The buyer's worried about sending money to someone unknown and not getting ripped off . I have 100% positive feedback on ebay but that may not matter to him when it's his personal deal.

Thanks for your guys imput.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

You can always just help him nice talking to you and have a nice life.
In this day and age it can be an issue with some guys but there is others I am sure that will be happy to pay the same way.
ya can's please everyone but he does have the option to PU in person and save the shipping cost. =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
bunner engines

Post by bunner engines »

ProPower engines wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:56 pm You can always just help him nice talking to you and have a nice life.
In this day and age it can be an issue with some guys but there is others I am sure that will be happy to pay the same way.
ya can's please everyone but he does have the option to PU in person and save the shipping cost. =D>
True, I'd like it if he would fly here ,see the balancer do a crank, pay for it. Rent a truck and take it back home to ideho. Then he don't have to worry about the shipping company damaging the thing.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Not specifically related to ST, and as don't know either party so casting no aspersions on anyone's character, but as a general rule of thumb :

Provide the buyer with solid references and use a payment method that can't be reversed

Be as little involved in the 'shipping process' as possible, put reasonable caveats on what you can't avoid ..... indeed the whole deal in general

If you find someone trying to 'bend' your sale more than you like, walk away ....... buyer pushing terms is always a red flag

Otherwise as said above