Speed-Talk is running on www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Super_Stock

Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi all, I've got one of these testers but I don't have the degree wheel part or the chuck that goes in the center of it. I know it's a long shot but would anyone be parting one of these out?
Or if you have one, could you take some pics and measurements for me so I could fabricate one?
Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Re: Need parts for a Marquette distributor tester

Post by maxracesoftware »

your looks similar to mine , except mine is dark-red color outside/gold-color on board ( yours silver metal )
mine still works , not willing to sell or part-out

what dimensions/specs do you want ?

if my Wife didn't throw away the Manual , i should still have it in a container or in my Shop somewhere ??
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com
PipeMax v4.70 Download Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/viwxszuo ... 0.zip/file
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Thanks Larry.
The picture I posted was just one I found on the net that looked like mine. Mine is silver with the black case.
I'll get mine out today and take some pictures of it and what I need to have measured and pictures of.
I guess yours would look like this one I've posted below.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

year 2001 old camera , i have much higher quality pics on my other computer

has homemade Spark Plug Load Board ( adjustable spark plug gaps ... changes Load , near 0.150" Gaps seem to match real-world results )
accurate enough to real-world to within a +- few hundred RPM
have a few very old Videos of operation with MSD Box multiple sparks/sound with lights turned off in room , and with lights on
but on old Win98 Computer , need to transfer them .
Can also switch from 6 volts to 12 volts or higher than 12v
Marquette_Dist_Tester.jpg
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
http://www.maxracesoftwares.com
PipeMax v4.70 Download Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/viwxszuo ... 0.zip/file
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi Larry,
I finally got around to dragging out what I have and taking some pics of it. It's missing a few parts, like the Vac pump and gauge plus obviously the degree wheel. I can sort out the pump and gauge, that's no problem, but what I really need to know is how that degree wheel is made up.
Maybe some closer pics of it from the top and underside,as well as its size, thickness etc, so I can machine one up. It also has what looks like a magnetic pickup under the degree wheel, so some pics and dimensions of the rotor that signals it would also be great.
I'm not worried about the chuck that holds the dizzy shaft as I can make one for each application or find some sort of chuck that will do the job.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
underhead valve

Post by underhead valve »

the disc is a little larger than the outside of the neon tube, has 2 arrows, one small, one large, large arrow has solid center so it will show different than small arrow. degree ring is plastic and goes over top ,just a little smaller opening than the outer diameter of the neon tube. There are no signs of something screwed to the disc for hall effect? pickup, there is a hub that is rigid, it has a rubber piece in it to allow movement of the chuck.
Does the neon tube flash?. does the speed control work?, mine the speed control is getting erratic at low speeds, probably going to have to replace some capacitors
Super_Stock

Post by Super_Stock »

Hi, thanks for the reply,
I have not tested the tube or speed control. First I need to see if I can sort out the hard parts to complete it. You can see in the second picture the hall effect pickup on the left between the motor spindle and flash tube. I guess that's for rpm. I could just make a rotor, spin it at a known rpm and then see what the output is.I could then work out how many teeth it needs.

Thanks for the info, if you also had a few pictures, then that would also be very helpful.
Cheers.