WTB seat cutter

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Old Iron
WTB seat cutter

Post by Old Iron »

looking for a carbide 1" 9/16 and 1"5/8 for kwik way set up Thanks
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: WTB seat cutter

Post by ProPower engines »

Are you looking for the kwik Way original cutters or a newer version with indexable carbide inserts?
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Old Iron

Post by Old Iron »

I have the old style now and sent them out for sharping but after 10 cuts they are dull cutting cast iron,I think the ones I have may be hi speed tool steel,Never had experience with the indexable ones,just need something that will do a good job and work with my tooling
Thanks
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

The original KW cutters use HSS cutter inserts that are pinned in place. the angle of cut is important for them to last
but that angle is shallow from what I remember. The newer heads have much harder seats then the old heads did. As well
as most have hardened inserts which really kills the edge on the cutter inserts.
The center hole should be 5/8" ID which means you can use any dual slot drive cutter bodies.

There is a few adjustable sets available on E Bay for a decent price that use replacement cutter inserts that are a common carbide insert. They come with a setting fixture as well as a bunch of cutter bodies to suit a full range of seat ring inserts.
The KW cutters being fixed you can also find them a variety of sizes as well.

Recently I seen a couple equipment dealers that had lots of singles on their shelves that may suit your needs.
Old Iron

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks Propower do the ones with inserts have to be set with a fixture or are they ok just changing inserts? mabe the fellow didn"t sharpen them right,I don't use to remove seats just cut new in cast
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

I have a collection of fixed cutters that use indexable inserts ( 4 cutting edges ) for older cast heads and they are fine to
just flip a cutter and not have sizing issues.
I also use adjustable cutters to get a wider variety of options to choose from depending on the heads being worked on.
Even some of the newer cast heads that have induction hardened seats can be real tough to cut without too much pressure being applied to the cutter to create deflection altered counter bore sizes.
The cutters seem to increase in size by 1/6" at a time regardless of brand in the fixed cutters.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Not sure what the Kwik Way setup is like but I have also slowly replaced all of my old cutters with new ones that use replaceable inserts. Once you use them you will never go back. I have not had any issues with any hard seats that I have encountered to date.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com