Sunnen Mandrel

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

m6

Sunnen Mandrel

Post by m6 »

Are you looking for a set of mandrels like LBN-64 Lifetime Honing Unit Set (which I have), but I would like with Y-mandrels, looking for sizes from 744 "to 1,250". I wonder if there is a kit to buy or do I have to buy them separately??
Peter Andersson
Autorep & Mek
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Sunnen Mandrel

Post by ProPower engines »

There is 100's available on E Bay. I look there 1st every time I need a odd ball sized mandrel.
There is basic kits that cover a specific automotive range of sizes but there is also unlimited options
depending on the finished size requirements your working with.

Most of the equipment dealers sell there but you can contact them with a list of your finished size requirements you want.

Look on line for the sunnen mandrel size listings for the part numbers associated with the mandrels you want.
Also get used to the industrial numbers for sunnen stones as well. There are much more options then the automotive numbers commonly used as they offer finish's finer then automotive or faster stock removal in cases where you got alot to hone out
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
m6

Post by m6 »

I have looked on ebay, don’t find any yy mandrels in the size ,744” to 1,250”
Peter Andersson
Autorep & Mek
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

YY mandrels for pin bores are tough to come by. Everyone wants them but there are others that work just as well.
The non lifetime mandrels as an example will do the job just fine to touch up pin bores and the shorted mandrels
can be used for doing bushings in the rods.

Contact att the used equipment dealers on there as most have equipment sales+service outside of bay as well but it will take some effort to locate the mandrels you are looking for.All the engine specific mandrels are popular.

Unless you want to order new from sunnen you will have to look everyday twice a day to get them as they get got as soon as the listings are posted. Sign up to get notifications of new listings as well that way you do not have to look through the complete section.

On Ebay use the search bar and enter the word "Sunnen"
There will be at least 10-20 pages of of sunnen related listings. There are lots of dealers on there as well as smaller shops reducing inventories from years gone by.
m6

Post by m6 »

Yes I’m looking at eBay almost every day for sunnen parts for my engine shop.
It was when I change pistons on a cbb con rod and I didn’t get it right and had to press out the wrist pin again. #-o [-X
I have for the con rod but it’s not working on the piston, because there were two lubricated grooves in the wrist pin hole. So i had to use a reamer.
Peter Andersson
Autorep & Mek
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

If you are looking for mandrels the lifetime mandrels are the hardest to get cause they are in big demand.
Look daily as well but the mandrels that are not lifetime are easier to get. There is often new mandrels for doing pin bores in pistons but they are the throw away type. If you look after them they will last for years of use.
I have lots for specific jobs and they work just fine till I locate lifetime replacements.
Again there is so many size options you may end up with some that are not used as much as others but thats the way it goes of your not able to buy new off the shelf from sunnen.
Just keep in mind they can be sold down the road if you keep them in good condition and recover some capital back. :D