Parts Catalog's

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

Freager

Parts Catalog's

Post by Freager »

Hey guys,

I have been trying to get some parts catalogs so I could easily access engine spec's in a hard copy book instead of sifting through the internet. All the suppliers I call won't give me a catalog without an account/business license.

Does anyone have any parts extra catalogs laying around they would be willing to part with? I am only interested in older domestic engines. Bearing catlogs, guide and seat catalogs etc..
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Parts Catalog's

Post by ProPower engines »

If you look on the AERA.org web site they sell the books with all the spec's including Cylinder head details block sizing and casting numbers crankshaft and others.
Since the parts manufactures go on line with most of their info for the last 10+ years now paper books that were once common are now obsolete and hard to get.

the AERA has lots of info on that available in their on line store.
If you are a full time shop then you can join the AERA or go with Mitchel on demand and others that for a monthly fee will supply every detail you need.

With the covid thing manufactures do not want to supply books because of the current printing costs.
I do have a library of Clevite Sealed Power Speed-Pro etc but the value of the catalogs is in question here.

My point is what are they worth to you compared to getting the info through on line by paying the monthly fee.
Just that shipping heavy books as most are would be more costly then just buying the service to have it on line.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Freager

Post by Freager »

Unfortunately I am not an AERA member as I need a business license to join, as I recall. This has been my struggle in getting catalogs and specs in general. This is a hobby for me and maybe some day I can turn it into a profession. Tried to start a “business” with the primary purpose to get catalogs but can’t get my local AHJ to work with me.

I prefer flipping through pages to sitting on the computer. It is interesting to hear how books are getting harder and more expensive to get, I thought the suppliers handed them out like candy to their customers.

I guess I am a little old school and would prefer books. I don’t need updated specs and I am just interest in domestic engines from times past. I am hoping there are some extras laying around someone would be willing to part with.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

You don't have to join to buy the spec books from AERA.
They sell them on their web site.
They cover all years they just get updated every now and then but for the AERA guys they are all online unless they request hard copies of the spec manuals.
As I mentioned guys that have large collections of these hard to get parts books will be hard pressed to give them up.
Mostly I use them for researching old part numbers that have changed over the years just like most guys do.

As mentioned hobby of full time business its all the same they are hard to get as they just do not hand then out any longer.
You can call the manufactures directly but they only have current year books if they have them at all now.

The HP parts makers use online listings 99% of the time and if you want you can pay a fee for this years current catalog info but thats not really what your after.
\
Good luck with your quest :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Freager,
All of the major parts manufacturers have their catalogs available as PDF downloads. I have most of them downloaded and in a folder on my computer. Very easy to look at that way. They are all getting away from printed catalogs. If you are working on modern engines the catalogs are almost out of date when they are printed anyway :(

I dont think you need to be a business to join AERA. Not sure if you even need to be a member to subscribe to Prosis. I have been a member since 1987 and cannot imagine operating a machine shop without them.

A lot of local libraries offer access to either Shopkey or AllData if you have a library card. That is another option.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Freager

Post by Freager »

Thank you guys for the responses. I will keep my eye out for older hard copy catalogs since it is something I would like. In the meantime I can use modern catalogs online to get the info I need. Having the specs goes hand in hand with the getting correct tooling and obviously parts so this should get me started.

Appreciate the feedback and info.