New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com or
https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

Who makes the best steel shop buildings?

Heat/AC, electrical, lighting, flooring, design, construction, photos...

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
HotPass
HotPass

Who makes the best steel shop buildings?

Post by JoePorting » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:15 pm

So I'm looking at getting some acreage in Northern California soon and was wondering who makes the best "bang for the buck" steel shop buildings around? I'm looking at getting something around 40' X 60' or bigger, at about normal height. Need electrical and plumbing. Would be nice to include a small office and bathroom with shop sink. Never put one together, so it would be nice to include someone with a building crew. But would consider subcontracting it out if it'll save alot of money. From what I understand, it's about $15k for the building and about another $25k+ if I have them build it. Anybody put one together, or know's of people who have?
Joe Facciano

mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Re: Who makes the best steel shop buildings?

Post by mbrooks » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:36 am

I had a 40 x 60 built about 2 yrs ago. All steel. 14' sidewall, 3 doors 10'w x 10'h with one 13'h all facing south, windows up high on the north wall for ventilation works real well. They had to do some removal and haul dirt in, 20' x 60' apron, all 5" 4000psi concrete with piers around the perimeter under the uprights. Total all in with everything about $70k. I think if you have the contacts go for it, if you don't have the contacts better find someone who does, plus they get to play with the inspector. The way I understood it, there were only two steel building companies in this area, midwest, and the guy knew what the difference between them was in the way they designed the building, just small things can make a difference. This is for private use, he said for commercial establishment would cost in the $120k area for some reason, prob codes. I put fans in mine which is really nice also. 3" insulation throughout, 1 forced air wood burning stove can heat the whole thing easily.

amzounslide

Post by amzounslide » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:17 pm

I have seen this advertized alot.I dont know anything about them but you could give them a shot.

http://www.gensteel.com/

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:43 pm

We had a pre-fabricated (four sections) shop made for our property and installed on a reinforced slab. My bit of advice is concerning the roof.

The basic building came with a tin roof that was screwed down into the joists. We opted to spend extra money to have a 1/2" particle board layer installed underneath. This was money well spent. Years later a wind storm came (not a hurricane) and peeled back large sections of the tin. If the reinforcement had not been there the whole roof would have gone and then probably the walls.

When the roof was redone we doubled down and had 3/4" ground contact rated plywood installed and then a 130 mph high quality shingle top over that.

amzounslide

Post by amzounslide » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm

amzounslide wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:17 pm
I have seen this advertized alot.I dont know anything about them but you could give them a shot.

http://www.gensteel.com/

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:14 pm

I was recently looking at steel buildings. From what I could determine there are just a few manufacturers but hundreds of resellers. Many offer kits, just a few offer construction service. About all I contacted said they were easily assembled with minimal equipment. Guess that may be true if a person considers a forklift, Genie lift and crane as minimal equipment. Definitely not a DIY project for the building size I was looking at.

Next thing to consider is insulation. The majority of ones I looked at had no insulation options. Some offered blanket insulation that was screwed between the girts and outer steel. Minimal R factors was common with up to 6”- R13 in some cases available. Spray insulation offered the easiest but most expensive option with prices starting at $1 per sq ft. If going with spray, I would consider wrapping the building with Tyvek for ease if panel replacement becomes necessarily.

Be sure to check out the foundation requirements in your area. Where I wanted to build it would have involved soil testing and engineered fill along with structural engineer stamp on the drawings for footings and floor before the building permit would be issued.

As it was, I’m going with a post building and even though the builder is a respected contractor with a long history in this area, I still needed to hire a structural engineer to submit his drawing and stamped plans to get a building permit.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine