New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a short while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:43 am

I would really like to built something like this dynomite unit ($10250 as shown, with 800hp brake manual control valve and a data logging setup). I'm just not sure I want to have to store something that big. Maybe If I can also make a top fot it so its a shop bench most of the time? My other thought is that I have a pretty serious welding/fab table I built and it would be pretty easy to just bolt an engine stand to the top of it and call it done, that's probably what I'll do...but the dynamite setup sure looks nice......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

gunt
Pro
Pro

Post by gunt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm

looks nice but don't consider it

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:29 pm

gunt wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm
looks nice but don't consider it
Are there problems with their stuff?

I already have the older go-power unit I'm setting up and really just looking at building something similar to the stand in the pic but I'm curious what concerns you have?...I 'most bought one of their 800hp brakes that was on ebay about 6 months back, just wondering what bullet(s) I may have dodged.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

gunt
Pro
Pro

Post by gunt » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:50 am

Can't say here publicly , but i was looking heavy into it and their other dyno's , there was second hand ones at huge saving , but even some guys here sent me pm , but still wouldn't say but when rang in a few minutes it was very apparent , but they just didn't want the hassle of have it written some where , if you were looking at the same dyno i think you might have been , contact the old owner , it wouldn't have been even 2yrs old at half the price , and that's just one guy , to me the level you are at you would have pulled your hair out then forgot about the car and start to re engineer it ,

it would have been a millions times more hassle that your ecu problems with one supplier

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:20 am

Ok. I figured they are probably like the Harbor Freight of dynos...what they sell mostly works when you get it and usually works long enough that you consider it an ok tool.

The guy I bought the rollers from got talking about dynos, he was building a small engine eddy unit using the brake from an emissions dyno, hence the rollers for sale. At the time I thought I had a stuska coming to the shop as a 50/50 deal wiht a guy I know, he said he had the little one and really liked it but one day someone made him and offer so he let it go. Later he was offered a land and sea (dynomite) and just hated it....wouldn't hold cal, not repeatable, surged, didn't buy it and realized how nice the stuska was and that he under priced it. That was an old unit, not the current toroidal design things may have improved. I have no personal experience so have nothing to really add beyond I guess you usually get what you pay for......

Deciding to add a dyno to the shop has been a real struggle....they are expensive, take a lot of room, and if I'm being honest won't get much use. I ilve in a development so I'm not going to run a dyno shop at my house so personal use only. Shopping, doing everything cheap I'll probably have $3-$5k into it before it works right. Last I checked I could rent time for about $500/day so that's a lot of days....but that's after my oddball engine is setup on the dyno. There will be adapters and brackets and wiring and hoses etc that all need to be done that I have to believe would add up to the same $1000-$1500 I'm budgeting to do it on my own dyno. Then my dyno is on my schedule, no vacation days needed to use it, no rushing (although the guy I was talking to was great, "leave it on the cart, pull, roll it out and we'll stop the $$ clock, just don't leave it untouched for months") so I decide to give it a go....I"m sure I"ll regret it but for now I'm pretty excited to get it set up and working......after I fix the engine of course.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

gunt
Pro
Pro

Post by gunt » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:10 am

definitely do it that way , there is no option for me like that well not within 2hr drive . you can fab up you own cart in your shop so its ready to rock , but it is also surprising how little you get in a day with heat and sorting problems
if you start the dyno at home you will spend nearly the same in time / money on noise suppression , or those nice neighbors mightn't be so nice anymore