FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

gunt
Expert
Expert
Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by gunt »

looks nice but don't consider it
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm looks nice but don't consider it
Are there problems with their stuff?

I already have the older go-power unit I'm setting up and really just looking at building something similar to the stand in the pic but I'm curious what concerns you have?...I 'most bought one of their 800hp brakes that was on ebay about 6 months back, just wondering what bullet(s) I may have dodged.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Can't say here publicly , but i was looking heavy into it and their other dyno's , there was second hand ones at huge saving , but even some guys here sent me pm , but still wouldn't say but when rang in a few minutes it was very apparent , but they just didn't want the hassle of have it written some where , if you were looking at the same dyno i think you might have been , contact the old owner , it wouldn't have been even 2yrs old at half the price , and that's just one guy , to me the level you are at you would have pulled your hair out then forgot about the car and start to re engineer it ,

it would have been a millions times more hassle that your ecu problems with one supplier
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Ok. I figured they are probably like the Harbor Freight of dynos...what they sell mostly works when you get it and usually works long enough that you consider it an ok tool.

The guy I bought the rollers from got talking about dynos, he was building a small engine eddy unit using the brake from an emissions dyno, hence the rollers for sale. At the time I thought I had a stuska coming to the shop as a 50/50 deal wiht a guy I know, he said he had the little one and really liked it but one day someone made him and offer so he let it go. Later he was offered a land and sea (dynomite) and just hated it....wouldn't hold cal, not repeatable, surged, didn't buy it and realized how nice the stuska was and that he under priced it. That was an old unit, not the current toroidal design things may have improved. I have no personal experience so have nothing to really add beyond I guess you usually get what you pay for......

Deciding to add a dyno to the shop has been a real struggle....they are expensive, take a lot of room, and if I'm being honest won't get much use. I ilve in a development so I'm not going to run a dyno shop at my house so personal use only. Shopping, doing everything cheap I'll probably have $3-$5k into it before it works right. Last I checked I could rent time for about $500/day so that's a lot of days....but that's after my oddball engine is setup on the dyno. There will be adapters and brackets and wiring and hoses etc that all need to be done that I have to believe would add up to the same $1000-$1500 I'm budgeting to do it on my own dyno. Then my dyno is on my schedule, no vacation days needed to use it, no rushing (although the guy I was talking to was great, "leave it on the cart, pull, roll it out and we'll stop the $$ clock, just don't leave it untouched for months") so I decide to give it a go....I"m sure I"ll regret it but for now I'm pretty excited to get it set up and working......after I fix the engine of course.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

definitely do it that way , there is no option for me like that well not within 2hr drive . you can fab up you own cart in your shop so its ready to rock , but it is also surprising how little you get in a day with heat and sorting problems
if you start the dyno at home you will spend nearly the same in time / money on noise suppression , or those nice neighbors mightn't be so nice anymore
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Time to fix the engine has finally arrived! Parts I know I need are rolling in almost daily...w'ell see what else joins the list as the tear-down and inspection wrap up. I have some gauges coming in today or tomorrow and I expect to find the the cause of the destruction was valve guides that are way too tight....clever me just ran the reamer in and put it together without ever bothering to check them or even google to learn that the C630 I made them from really doesn't ream very well....yes that was a dumbass move, and about $2000 later hopefully I know better.

Pulled the second head last night, #5 piston is a bit black and gooy...but it basically matches 8, 9, 10, 11 so I'm think those might just have been pig rich with TBs out of sync or .....I have oil leaking in.
20190827_202209-resized-1024[1].jpg

The chambers themselves are all showing some black oily goo

20190827_202222-resized-1024[1].jpg
20190827_202231-resized-1024[1].jpg

Not sure how I can leak test the welds between the intake port and cam galley....need to think about that.

Then there are the cylinder not looking quite right for so little run time. something else to have a look at.

20190827_202255-resized-1024[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I was afraid I might find something like this....I kind of thought I'd find a bearing just not a good one, but no, no bearing just the ti running on the crank... .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Profound sympathies :shock:
Await diagnosis :?
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Tight vale guides.

I clicked the wrong thing with the timing playing with ignition and retarded the timing about 20 degrees, valves heated, the guides were setup too tight, 1 stuck and smashed lots of stuff.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Here's were yesterday ended...the block is as torn down as it gets. I have to say though...its so weird tearing it apart and planning to just bolt it back together...haven't been in this position for about 12 years :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Found a little more bearing at the bottom of the sump it looks like. It don't see anything on the pickups so probably not much if any damage to the oil pump(s) but I'll inspect that pretty well too.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I've never has to beat a valve out of the port before.....I'm pretty sure it's not an experience I feel my life was missing.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

i think this time you will be wiring in oil pressure to the ecu , and maybe a knock sensor might help slightly
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Yeah….you know, I can’t say that I watched the oil pressure drop but I noticed it was stupid low, popped the cap off the oil tank and saw the oil returning and ASSumed the sending unit had failed, I mean how the heck to you break sh!t just idling right? Yup, I’m that stupid.
I have added the code to the ECU to read a pressure transducer and produce a pwm signal that should drive the dash gauge. It’s been a couple years during the shop build but I think I bought the transducer if I can find it. I still want to add some code to limit the throttle/load based on oil pressure and light the dash warning light.
Today I ordered a couple replacement rods and 10 under bearings. The crank journal mics about 3 under so hopefully its clean at minus 10. I ordered the bearings now because last time there was excess clearance in the assembly….crank, block, rods all mic’d near nominal but the assembly was loose so I had the bearings coated. This time the plan is put the bearings in and measure then grind the crank to match if it need to be a bit over true -10. This is apparently pretty common in Ferrari land, often a bit looser than spec, never end up tight.

Its all cleaned up, will weld up the head in the coming days.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Boxes! A nice new piston, set of rings and a chunk of iron that a cylinder is hiding inside
Mark
Mechanical Engineer