FrankenFerrari engine

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

mk e
Guru
Guru

Re: FrankenFerrari engine

Post by mk e »

gunt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm don't take this the wrong way , as when anyone is deep in something simple things can be missed ,

before even heading to the dyno with the plugs out spin her up monitor the pressure and may be at both ends of the block and head , with plugs out , i'd have no problem of wasting a starter on it
Spinning it until it has pressure and oil is returning to the tank is something I always do. Also a baseline compression and leakdown test on each cylinder and since my time is free but starters are not, nor is it easy to change, I watch the temp and wait as long as need be. after trouble shooting on the last round I also have the flywheel marked ever 60deg so I can confirm spark is right at each cylinder before it goes live.

The plan this time around is to also make sure there is a second person present on run day...so I don't miss anything or tel myself its nothing. still a few weeks out but that's the plan.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Ready for seat holes I think
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Just because I was in the mood to play I opened dynomation and installed the last version....no longer 900hp, 825 in the wave model  (darker) normally use or 850 on the FE (lighter - Fill and Empty...simpler model).  Still a lot but I'm sad to not get 900hp graphs anymore.  Sent a note to the developer asking about the craziness of the FE model at 3200, 5000.....this engine seems to really challenge the software and almost always finds issues when he added new features. 

If only I had a dyno to see what the engine REALLY makes!  :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

The bellhousing for the dyno I found on ebay arrived and looks right...well a GM bellhousing on a ferrari looks WRONG, but it looks like it will mount the dyno :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Juho_

Post by Juho_ »

Your work is simply just amazing.
I've read your whole thread, and it gave me a lot of motivation to just start fabricating stuff without worrying how much work it'll take in the end, or is it even possible. :D
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Walked into the shop today and 12 year old's face went pale and took on a sort of terror.......
20191012_100758-resized-1024.jpg

I looked at him, looked at the tool chest....

You ok?

Nothing broken?

or bruised?

So just the little cut on your finger?

How many draws did you open before it tipped over?

You understand why we only open 1 at time now?

You can help me clean it up later, let's go take care of the cut before mama sees it.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

2 good ways to look at it

1 the kid is ok and learned a serious lesson [ glad to hear he is , luck as hell ]
2 it wasn't near the car ,
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I was at a defense industry show yesterday and spotted another nice option in the v12 doesn't work out....very smooth they said
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

For anyone who wondered, it does actually run now again after the failure.

It had a leaking head gasket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFBhmTccRkE

But I think it fixed everything is working right now....... only took 14 years.

https://youtu.be/0ZdknPkKRwE

Log looks good....1400-5200rpm, 75-115 pis oil pres other than it looks like I forgot to connect the Coolant sensor so it was pretty rich.
20220327 tuning.JPG

TBs just a little out of syco, mostly bank to bank so I'll need to adjust that after having the heads off

20220327 TB sync.JPG

Misfire detection not reporting any real issues and all 4 NBO2 sensor agreeing it rich so I'm pretty sure all 12 run and the cylinder MAP correction seems to be correcting the little TB sync issues

20220337 cyl data.JPG
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
87v6bird

Post by 87v6bird »

Well I just "worked" half my day reading this entire thread but it's been amazing.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Sorry...I realized I'd never added any kind of ending here. Hopefully it will be running well enough for the dyno soon so I can get some numbers...although at this point just running seems enough :lol:
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

It still needs a lot of tuning but even pig rich its pretty rev happy touching 9k before it literally ran out of gas and the fun ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfVAsGHSU5w
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Did you ever dyno it?
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

englertracing wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:43 am Did you ever dyno it?
Not yet. I expected that to be happening about now but I'm struggling to get the head gaskets to stay sealed. Its on leak test again now so fingers crossed 4 times is a charm.

These things are known for head gasket issues and not really thinking I made the issue much worse when I upped the bore size from 81 to 86mm. These use drop-in wet liners so water can come up to the deck between the liners and now the flame rings basically touch leaking no actual gasket on the liner between cylinders

20220505_183724-resized-1024.jpg

Another shop that has done a handful 89mm bore conversions on similar engines (Ferrari uses the same basic design on several engines) told me he uses sealant on his and I tried that and ALMOST had it , thought I had it last time running in the video I posted...but no.

The other piece is its the end cylinder causing issues. I guess everything can move a bit and the end studs are clamping 1 liner not 2 which causes the head to bow slightly so the OEM gasket have a shims on the end so this time I made something similar and added them. I also modified the sealant application/torqueing method to match additional details I got from the other guy but with a few changes that I think will help with the composite gaskets I had made vs the MLS he had made.

20220507_173726-resized-1024.jpg
20220507_173817-resized-1024.jpg
20220507_190400-resized-1024.jpg

Anyway, Dyno results once the heads are sealed and any other gremlins sorted so worth bothering with the dyno.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Still fighting head gaskets so no dyno numbers yet but I was pretty happy with this result on getting it to idle

https://youtu.be/7Bunm2COwe0

This was one of my biggest tuning fears but it seems to be working fine. Its at like 720-730 rpm in the video, original factory spec for all these engines (308, 400, TR) was 1000rpm. A buddy who works on them routine sets them to 750-800 and this easily sits below that so as good or better than stock idle using cams with 20 degree more duration (@0.050" lift), ports that flow about 70% more, and 54mm ITBs so this is much better than I'd hoped for.

Not sure how much progress I'll make toward a dyno day with winter about here....but if the head gaskets hold this time....
Mark
Mechanical Engineer