Restoration projects.

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Restoration projects.

Post by hoodeng »

BSA 1969 A75R Rocket Three, coming along very slowly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Restoration projects.

Post by hoodeng »

TaDa!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

hoodeng wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:08 pmTaDa!
FWIW, I was there back in the day and experienced first hand the advances and downsides of the 750 cc version. How do you remember it?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

This is how it looked before the restoration.
I bought it in 83 and did a stack of miles on it, i was working in the bush for the railways then and it was the commuter rain or shine. Before that there was a genny Shovel, 75 Sporty, a couple of A65's and a T120RV.
Back in the day it was pretty much a gas and go bike, the only issue that recurred [rarely] was head gaskets, back then it had an 850 Route kit on it with the Bonnie pistons so the gaskets were a bit thin between the cylinders,,If i knew then what i know now the fix would have been relatively simple and permanent.
Back then it also had 30mm Amals, stupid cams, stupid other stuff, a large diameter three into one header with empty ray guns, the perfect recipe for an engine not wanting to run properly under 3K, rubbish around town but came into its own on the open road. In the end i got that shi##ed off with how it ran around town i one day took off from the lights, put it into second and held it there till it rattled onto two cylinders, that would have been around 86,87 or so, i garaged it up till a couple of years ago. On tear down i found the reason it dropped one, the photo shows the culprit.

Jack, i reckon your experience can't have been too different to mine... One cylinder English bike, one set of problems, two cylinders, four times the set of problems, three cylinders, nine set of problems...God help anyone with a V12!...that is not really fair to what are actually neat bikes, but they never tolerated nor forgave neglect.

I remember in the late eighties going to Darwin and a friend up there lent us his V12XJS, we were flogging along behind the airport holding it flat out, when it came to backing out of it the carbs were jammed wide open, real-estate got in short supply pretty quick.