Looking to buy a used electric car

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: Looking to buy a used electric car

Post by gruntguru »

Some research showing lifetime cost of EV's is now competitive with ICE.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... e=Homepage
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Monzsta wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm
liqu wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:14 pm I bought a Volt I like it a lot
I second the Volt. I've got a '13. I can get 40+ out of the battery and in gas/hybrid mode I get around 40-42 mpg staying around the speed limits. The nice thing is it's an excellent highway car. You don't have to plug it in ever. Last year I made a scamper from NC to NM in two days. Try that with a Tesla!
15 Volt, everything I need and not a lot of what I want, PS this forum is "Speedtalk"
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

HDBD wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:13 am PS this forum is "Speedtalk"
FWIW, I find I'm driving our Bolt much faster than anything else I own. Because it's silent, speed sneaks up easily. Because it's very quick and responsive, it gets out in front of ICE traffic. Because the styling is generic hatchback, it doesn't immediately attract the attention of LEOs.

Another FWIW, back when I traveled everywhere in the USA on business, I early on noticed the two most speed-limit-abiding vehicles on the highway were Corvettes and Harleys. My explanation is they'd learned from experience they were always going to be noticed and ticketed. In my generic rental, I was always passing them going ten over with no problems.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am ...
Another FWIW, back when I traveled everywhere in the USA on business, I early on noticed the two most speed-limit-abiding vehicles on the highway were Corvettes and Harleys. My explanation is they'd learned from experience they were always going to be noticed and ticketed. In my generic rental, I was always passing them going ten over with no problems.
When I drove my dark green four door sedan on business I was much more invisible. I definitely noticed a change in CHP attention when I moved to a red Mustang convertible.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

HDBD wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:13 am
Monzsta wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:26 pm
liqu wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:14 pm I bought a Volt I like it a lot
I second the Volt. I've got a '13. I can get 40+ out of the battery and in gas/hybrid mode I get around 40-42 mpg staying around the speed limits. The nice thing is it's an excellent highway car. You don't have to plug it in ever. Last year I made a scamper from NC to NM in two days. Try that with a Tesla!
15 Volt, everything I need and not a lot of what I want, PS this forum is "Speedtalk"
HPTuners can get into the Volt. More faster.
denndeko

Post by denndeko »

There are certain things you need to take into account when buying a used electric car. Don’t expect a 100 percent battery life report on a used electric car, but don’t be dismayed if the vehicle only offers three-quarters of its original range. Most drivers don’t add more than 40 to 50 miles to an odometer a day anyway. If you’re buying a used electric car for your commute, a shorter range may be just fine. You should also ask a previous owner or a dealer about maintenance history, especially for any service records they may be able to provide. The article from https://cararac.com/blog/we-analyzed-214-electric-vehicles-here-s-what-we-learned.html might also be very helpful, as they point out important information that needs to be taken into consideration.