Only electric cars sold in India by 2030

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

jlbayes
Re: Only electric cars sold in India by 2030

Post by jlbayes »

andyf wrote:I use an electric as my shop car. It is pretty slick to buzz around town picking up and dropping off parts without using any gas. I save $200 a month on gas and my electric bill only went up a small amount. The electric car is super low maintenance since the number of moving parts is much lower. No oil changes, transmission is super simple, no water pump or fuel pump or timing belt, etc.

But the electric cars have a big range problem so I still need my old shop truck in case I have to haul something big or go 100 miles. At this point in time I'd say the electric cars are perfect third vehicles, maybe a second vehicle in the right situation, but not ready to be the only vehicle for most people.
Uh I think you mean two water pumps as most separate cooling between the hv battery and then the hv electronics. Along with very expensive controllers for all of it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Keith Morganstein wrote:I think it's coming sooner than later. The Chevy Bolt (not volt) has much better range and could be practical for many drivers.

Best to enjoy the ICE powered vehicle now. I think were in the last great era of factory ICE muscle cars.
At $45.00 a barrel oil, the realization that we have more than we know what to do with and the dismal sales of over priced electric cars I wouldn't put my money on it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

I suspect this thread sounds like the era when the horseless carriages were about to start taking over... :roll:
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: If Moore's law applies to Electric Vehicles, they get faster, cheaper, and more range exponentially over time.
Moore's law only applies to integrated transistors. IC makers have been warning people for years it's going to start leveling off. Physics doesn't scale down infinitely while keeping the same rules. But more to your basic point, yes, we are experiencing exponential growth in battery capacity too, it's just that the exponent is much smaller. Moore's law predicted a doubling of transistors every 2 years. What we've seen with batteries is an energy density doubling every 10 years or so, or about 5% to 8% increase per year. But on a historical scale, it's definitely exponential.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Most of us are here because we like the ICE. Building, modifying, driving and competing in vehicles with them.

The average driver/consumer likes Convenience, reliability and economy. If they don't have to go to a gas station, don't need to get oil changes, have power and comfort, they will want it.

There will also be forces besides convenience and economics in effect. I.e regulations.

Electric cars, self driving cars... Can't say I like it all, but I think it's coming and sooner than many expect.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Most of us are here because we like the ICE. Building, modifying, driving and competing in vehicles with them.

The average driver/consumer likes Convenience, reliability and economy. If they don't have to go to a gas station, don't need to get oil changes, have power and comfort, they will want it.

There will also be forces besides convenience and economics in effect. I.e regulations.

Electric cars, self driving cars... Can't say I like it all, but I think it's coming and sooner than many expect
Yes, they are pushing it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I would think it is pretty narrow-minded and/or near-sighted if one thinks electric cars won't be here.
Probably not to the exclusion of the I.C.E. cars very soon, but will be the majority.

Look at all the electric golf carts down here in Florida.
The Villages are practically all electric in the 'city'.
All are charged at home. They go everywhere.

My old work we used electric fork lifts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
They had removable batteries we would change when needed.
(charging a battery while using another one, kind of like the battery drills, weed whackers etc)

Don Garlits has a battery powered dragster that he is trying to get a record with.
(probably faster than the majority of many bracket cars)

Also doesn't mean I'll get rid of my gas/alcohol cars.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

exhaustgases wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:And the power to run these cars will come from??? Coal, natural gas or nuclear?
Actually in all motors the power truly comes from magnetism.

And why is everyones head in the needs some sort of added power to create it box? If you need that route then a hydrogen fuel cell will work.

Normal permanent magnets repel and attract with no need for a power source. So how many scientific it can't be done things have now been done?
Yes many things in physics, medicine, aeronautics, genetics etc. Years ago it was thought the sound barrier could not be broken with an aircraft.
What are you talking about? Power does NOT come from permanent magnets.... If that were the case a perpetual motion machine would be possible.
carmakerevive

Post by carmakerevive »

I'm interested to see where the 'budget' makers take the electric platforms. It's very much a rich mans game at the moment.

Chinese have already bought Tesla's and started reverse engineering them.
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

DaveMcLain wrote:
exhaustgases wrote:
DaveMcLain wrote:And the power to run these cars will come from??? Coal, natural gas or nuclear?
Actually in all motors the power truly comes from magnetism.

And why is everyones head in the needs some sort of added power to create it box? If you need that route then a hydrogen fuel cell will work.

Normal permanent magnets repel and attract with no need for a power source. So how many scientific it can't be done things have now been done?
Yes many things in physics, medicine, aeronautics, genetics etc. Years ago it was thought the sound barrier could not be broken with an aircraft.
What are you talking about? Power does NOT come from permanent magnets.... If that were the case a perpetual motion machine would be possible.
When you drill all the way down (pun :) ), power/energy comes directly or otherwise mostly from the Sun, a couple of exceptions being atomic fission, tidal power, geothermal...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Volvo recently announced that in 2019 and beyond, they will produce no pure IC-powered cars.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
carmakerevive

Post by carmakerevive »

^ Thats fine though. No great loss.

When was the last time you saw a Volvo exceed the speed limit... Or even get up to it!
"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine..."
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

Why is it the majority of everyones focus on fuel savings and emissions is wrapped around automobiles? What ever happened to airplanes, boats, trains, industrial manufacturering,food and food container production, cell phoe components, tv's, tires,....... Anyways. Just saying that the majority of the blame seems to hang on automobiles. How much pollution does it take to make a new electric vehicle? Or any vehicle for that matter. I say if your interested in going green. Perhaps we should just fix up and drive an old chevy and get on with things. Where does the bulk of the energy come from to power these so called emission free electric toilette cars?

Ahug....
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

carmakerevive wrote:^ Thats fine though. No great loss.

When was the last time you saw a Volvo exceed the speed limit... Or even get up to it!
Huh? They were awesome cars. Esp the 850/s70/s60 platform. I own a bunch, all my kids drive them. The only cars I know of that don't rust out in New England. A couple have been in accidents, the Volvos drove home. The jeep grand Cherokee and a crown Vic needed a flatbed.

And while not supercars, a mid sized sedan with 250hp isn't a slow poke.

Looks like it's all going to crap now tho....
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

If they can get the performance and efficiencies as the FIA LMP1 and LMP2 cars, then I'm stoked!

Volvo's are very nice and performance-ish cars.

Lots of dinosaurs around these parts on the internet :roll:
-Bob