Supercharged V8 vs Tesla

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Supercharged V8 vs Tesla

Post by FC-Pilot »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:30 am I read a great article this morning over coffee about the perception and acceptance of a good EV vehicle versus an ICE vehicle by the general public today and one of the observations and proof of the study was that as soon as someone gets behind the wheel of a nice EV, in this particular study a Tesla Model 3 their perceptions and opinions change after just a moderate driving experience. The point being that until the general public drivers have that opportunity they will be limited and somewhat strongly opinionated against EV's. The study and summary that I tend to agree with is that when Henry Ford introduced the model T the public was similarly aligned and after they drove one of those steel "horses" their opinions changed in a blur!

I feel that by 2030 about 50% of all vehicles and trucks on the road and in the garages will be EV's. :wink:

We IC performance and racing GEEKS will still have plenty of great engines to play with, wrench on and race with! Just be careful who you challenge at the stoplight.! They might just "Spark your Arse!" :lol:
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Spot on! Now being that I deal with all of these at work I have some reasons for skepticism on the basis of owning an EV. One of the big issues I have is this, if something happens to my ICE vehicle I can go to the parts store and go home and fix the dang thing. EV's are not as forgiving in that regard. If you could grab a universal battery pack to replace your old one, as well as the controllers (or worse yet the hybrid drive systems) and fix them yourself in the drive way then I would be much more open minded. There is an aspect of drivability that "if properly programmed" is heads and shoulders above an ICE. I put some of the tesla vehicles as well as the bolt up there.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

Lets say one wanted to concert an old car to electric motor, what would be the cost of the motor that could run a 10.8-11s pass in a 3000-3400lbs car.. ??
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Check out this site. they have been doing this for a long time with quality components and verifiable performance results.

www.evwest.com
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

How about 9 second 60's mustang?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vTCK9ywBA
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:35 pm As far as cost goes, it depends. In CT, you pay high kwh charges. Up here in the frozen northwest, it costs more to run our hot tub than it does to juice our electric car for our daily driving. Electricity is so cheap, we don't have time-of-use metering.

jack vines
Cost me less than $1 overnight to fill the 17KWH battery. Takes me 43 miles the next day then gas kicks in. Then with freeway driving it gets about 43mpg
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Cost me less than $1 overnight to fill the 17KWH battery. Takes me 43 miles the next day then gas kicks in. Then with freeway driving it gets about 43mpg

what are you driving , toyota & lexus hybrid doing 70+ 90-100mph over 50 slightly old vw diesels 65mpg and i have my father in law in a small diesel 86mpg
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I think his, "handle", is/was , "66283", the guy on the Boards years ago that had a '66 Chevelle with a 632" BBC in it!

He said that he just had to feather the power to keep from getting crossed up in traffic!

Now this is a problem that I want!!

He, He!!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

So - not a perfect car but - the best daily drive money can buy. (According to Chrisian von Koenigsegg - but what would he know)
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 pm So - not a perfect car but - the best daily drive money can buy. (According to Chrisian von Koenigsegg - but what would he know)
Define daily drive.

I've got lots of seat time in most currently available BEVs. The Tesla Model 3, especially the dual motor Performance, is a spectacular sedan. It goes down the road wonderfully well. However, the M3 has the modern sedan curse of having too-low an H-point and positioning the shoulder of taller drivers behind the B-pillar. If the daily drive requires errand running in local traffic with frequent in and out of the car, the Tesla M3 is not the best choice. The Bolt and the i3, to name two are better urban choices. OTOH, if the daily drive is a 50-mile commute, the M3 with follow cruise and self drive is the only choice.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:34 am
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:54 pm So - not a perfect car but - the best daily drive money can buy. (According to Chrisian von Koenigsegg - but what would he know)
Define daily drive.
You would have to ask Mr Koenigsegg. His exact quote:
its the best contemporary normal daily driver around
Perhaps the Model Y will will perform both tasks Jack?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

I watched his video...don't think he said "money can buy".

He's also wrong right off the hop about ice powered vehicles coming out before ev's, which were out many many years before the ice.

But what would he know 🙄

He paid $67,000.00 U.S. or $89,000.00 Canadian 😳😳😳 dam, sure hope none of that was to save on fuel costs.