We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

5 minute charging

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

5 minute charging

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:48 pm

If the story is true, there is another objection out of the way.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/03/pie ... ports-car/
http://www.schmidtmotorworks.com Prototypes, Tooling, Molds.

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Re: 5 minute charging

Post by Brian P » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm

The limitation becomes the distribution network. 100 kWh (let's say) in 5 minutes requires 1200 kW power delivery from the charger = 1.2 MW.

That might be possible if you are plugged directly into a nuclear plant, but otherwise, not likely!

As charging stations and at-home chargers become more prevalent, people will eventually realise that they don't really need to charge up in 5 minutes. Even for someone who actually is on the road all the time, a half hour top-up over lunch break will do just fine. All it needs is for charging stations to be wherever you are eating lunch (restaurants, rest stops, etc) or staying overnight (home, hotel parking lots, etc). Give it 5 or 10 years and there ought to be plenty of charging stations in such locations.

Although I don't have an EV, I do know my own usage patterns. If I had a Chevrolet Bolt or similar, I would only have to use a public charging station about once or twice a month. Overnight at home would take care of the rest.

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:03 pm

X2 - we do use a Bolt for all our daily use and in two years have never needed to charge away from home.

There are surveys which suggest 99% of all daily private vehicle trips are within the Bolt's 238-mile range.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:05 am

I was pretty impressed with the Bolt as it did a number of things well. I look forward to seeing how their batteries hold up. Speaking with one of the battery engineers at F@&$ motor company, one of the things she said was how the discharging and charging of the batteries had a big impact on their life span. Even the ambient temperature of the environment had a big impact. I would have to imagine a five minute charge would be like steroids. Sure, you might be able to create a charger and vehicle capable of handling that sort of "Jolt" to they system, but would it be sustainable for 6 years at least once a day? I find it hard to imagine, but then again there are many things I still have yet to learn.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am

5 Minute charging = Instant Gratification Complex! :lol:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

gruntguru
Pro
Pro

Post by gruntguru » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 pm

Brian P wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm
The limitation becomes the distribution network. 100 kWh (let's say) in 5 minutes requires 1200 kW power delivery from the charger = 1.2 MW.

That might be possible if you are plugged directly into a nuclear plant, but otherwise, not likely!
ABB already have a 450 kW unit.

The number one limitation at present is the car's ability to accept high charge rates.