5 minute charging

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

5 minute charging

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

If the story is true, there is another objection out of the way.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/03/pie ... ports-car/
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Re: 5 minute charging

Post by Brian P »

The limitation becomes the distribution network. 100 kWh (let's say) in 5 minutes requires 1200 kW power delivery from the charger = 1.2 MW.

That might be possible if you are plugged directly into a nuclear plant, but otherwise, not likely!

As charging stations and at-home chargers become more prevalent, people will eventually realise that they don't really need to charge up in 5 minutes. Even for someone who actually is on the road all the time, a half hour top-up over lunch break will do just fine. All it needs is for charging stations to be wherever you are eating lunch (restaurants, rest stops, etc) or staying overnight (home, hotel parking lots, etc). Give it 5 or 10 years and there ought to be plenty of charging stations in such locations.

Although I don't have an EV, I do know my own usage patterns. If I had a Chevrolet Bolt or similar, I would only have to use a public charging station about once or twice a month. Overnight at home would take care of the rest.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

X2 - we do use a Bolt for all our daily use and in two years have never needed to charge away from home.

There are surveys which suggest 99% of all daily private vehicle trips are within the Bolt's 238-mile range.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I was pretty impressed with the Bolt as it did a number of things well. I look forward to seeing how their batteries hold up. Speaking with one of the battery engineers at F@&$ motor company, one of the things she said was how the discharging and charging of the batteries had a big impact on their life span. Even the ambient temperature of the environment had a big impact. I would have to imagine a five minute charge would be like steroids. Sure, you might be able to create a charger and vehicle capable of handling that sort of "Jolt" to they system, but would it be sustainable for 6 years at least once a day? I find it hard to imagine, but then again there are many things I still have yet to learn.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

5 Minute charging = Instant Gratification Complex! :lol:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Brian P wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm The limitation becomes the distribution network. 100 kWh (let's say) in 5 minutes requires 1200 kW power delivery from the charger = 1.2 MW.

That might be possible if you are plugged directly into a nuclear plant, but otherwise, not likely!
ABB already have a 450 kW unit.

The number one limitation at present is the car's ability to accept high charge rates.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Newold1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am 5 Minute charging = Instant Gratification Complex! :lol:
NO!!

Not at all, just about how long it takes me to top my gas tank off and go on down the road!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://www.sae.org/news/2019/12/gm-lg- ... nt-venture
LG Chem’s website suggests a third generation of its battery chemistry coming in 2020 will offer the potential for battery packs with approximately 311 mi (500 km) of range that can be recharged – presumably via DC fast-charging – to 80% of capacity in as little as 30 minutes. Barra said that GM’s consumer research has indicated that 300 miles of range is what many consumers have indicated is desirable.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

pdq67 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm
Newold1 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 am 5 Minute charging = Instant Gratification Complex! :lol:
NO!!

Not at all, just about how long it takes me to top my gas tank off and go on down the road!

pdq67
That's exactly what it is though.

With a gasoline powred car I have to go somewhere a mile or two from home and stand out there while pouring 10-15 gallons of chemicals into my car, a couple times a week, while it is cold and blowing wind and raining.

If I had an electric, I'd drive home every night, spend 10 second plugging it in, then go inside and make dinner and go to bed. (and probably voice my opinion on the internet somewhere between eating food and sleeping, but this is a simplified case)
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Brian P wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:02 pm The limitation becomes the distribution network. 100 kWh (let's say) in 5 minutes requires 1200 kW power delivery from the charger = 1.2 MW.

As charging stations and at-home chargers become more prevalent, people will eventually realise that they don't really need to charge up in 5 minutes. Even for someone who actually is on the road all the time, a half hour top-up over lunch break will do just fine. All it needs is for charging stations to be wherever you are eating lunch (restaurants, rest stops, etc) or staying overnight (home, hotel parking lots, etc). Give it 5 or 10 years and there ought to be plenty of charging stations in such locations.

Although I don't have an EV, I do know my own usage patterns. If I had a Chevrolet Bolt or similar, I would only have to use a public charging station about once or twice a month. Overnight at home would take care of the rest.
That 5 min fast charge could be handled by this no problem....but only one car a time.

https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/60268402328.html

Or 1.2MW windmill that would have a 64 meter blade span,, and still do only one car at a time,,if the wind is blowing a min of 7.5 mps

This puts that charging rate into perspective..😳