We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

So electric may just be a passing fad again

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Rick!
HotPass
HotPass

Re: So electric may just be a passing fad again

Post by Rick! » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm

If you don't try to extract hydrogen on the vehicle, it's probably easier to make it marketable. Pretty sure a Class 8 tractor could be feasible at that point.

https://nikolamotor.com/hydrogen

gruntguru
Pro
Pro

Post by gruntguru » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 am

enigma57 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 pm
Agree 100%, Mark. All other considerations aside, I believe the issue of electric (and other alternative means of propelling our personal vehicles) should be left to market factors and the motoring public to decide.

Keep government mandates and subsidies out of it. If electric (or other propulsion sources) prove both viable and affordable, there will be a market for them.
Good idea. Lets can all the mandates and subsidies . . . . and start taxing fossil fuels in a way that reflects their true cost to society.

If not...... No biggie. We are sitting on enough fossil fuel to power such things for many hundreds of years, so there is plenty of time to sort this out.

As for humankind causing 'climate change'...... That's straight up globalist politcal BS and shouldn't be a part of the discussion in my view. :wink:
Absolutely. Political and fiscal convenience are not part of the scientific method. We should all just accept the weight of scientific evidence (currently sitting at 95% probability that humans are causing climate change) and offer only opinions that are evidence based.

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:22 am

Not here to change anyone's opinions. Simply stating what I know to be true. If you choose to believe that humankind are causing 'climate change'...... Go for it. :D

Best regards,

Harry

mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am

I'm pretty sure if you feel the need to say "I know it to be true" then the post belong in P&R.

For sure oil and gas production and distribution are heavily subsidized which distorts there costs. Same for electric generation and distribution.

Years ago I did a womb to tomb cost analysis on a then pretty new prius and it produced about 50% more carbon emissions than a a conventional car of similar size. The very simple way to get a good idea for what it will shake out is just look at the price or weight and you'll know how much energy went into producing it, on commodity type goods. With luxury good like say a Rolls Royce there is a lot of labor....which is also energy to provide for the workers but the product weight in no longer telling of energy consumed, just the price.So a Prius say is very good at moving pollution from a US city to a poor Country but the price to more total global pollution.

Its really very much the same with electric cars energy consumption and pollution wise. Right now electric cars do not pay road use tax which is collected at fuel pumps and many place have other tax breaks to make them more affordable. I'd have to go back through all the numbers to be certain, but I'm more than a little suspicious that they don't actually reduce anything....just a guess though I certainly don't know it to be true ;)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer

BILL-C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by BILL-C » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 pm

I'm wondering if the recent large scale power outages and predicted future outages in california will have any effect on the EV market.
Carlquist Competition Engines

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:11 pm

mk e wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:52 am
I'm pretty sure if you feel the need to say "I know it to be true" then the post belong in P&R.
Not really. Many things are both true and self evident. If I say, '2+2 =4' for instance. -or- 'Gravity keeps you from falling off the earth and spinning off into space.'...... Those are facts. They are self evident. I know them to be true and I have no problem acknowledging them to be so.

You should be more concerned with those who buy into bald face lies such as humankind being the primary cause of 'climate change' rather than accepting that such things are caused by naturally occurring phenomina for the most part. Is mankind a factor? Of course. Everything is a factor to a greater or lesser degree. But the truth of the matter is that unless some idiot with their finger on the button unleashes a global wide thermonuclear conflagration...... Mankind doesn't factor as heavily into the overall equation as those attempting to use what is arguably the biggest hoax perpetrated on mankind in our lifetimes as a means to political and societal ends.

That's really all I have to say on the subject. Everyone here has a right to believe as they wish. If anyone here chooses to believe that humankind is the primary cause of 'climate change'....... And that the world as we know it will end in a few short years as the climate change alarmists and their greenie 'true believers' constantly harp about...... Hey...... Knock yourself out. :D

Best regards to all,

Harry

gruntguru
Pro
Pro

Post by gruntguru » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs eg some folks believe in god. A belief is very different to something that is "true", "self-evident" or a "fact".

The scientific community "believe" - with 95% certainty - that the primary driver of climate change is human activity. This belief is based on research, testing of theory and facts. There are some within the scientific community who share your belief - based on their own particular research.

Facts are different - they need to be verified. For example the research showing 60% decline in vertebrate populations in the last 40 years is not fact. The 95% confidence lower limit is a 48% decline - no so bad is it? Not human induced? If you believe that, you have your eyes closed.

enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 am

gruntguru
Pro
Pro

Post by gruntguru » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 pm

enigma57 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 am
Great emoji!! =D>

exhaustgases
Guru
Guru

Post by exhaustgases » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:36 pm

gruntguru wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs eg some folks believe in god. A belief is very different to something that is "true", "self-evident" or a "fact".

The scientific community "believe" - with 95% certainty - that the primary driver of climate change is human activity. This belief is based on research, testing of theory and facts. There are some within the scientific community who share your belief - based on their own particular research.

Facts are different - they need to be verified. For example the research showing 60% decline in vertebrate populations in the last 40 years is not fact. The 95% confidence lower limit is a 48% decline - no so bad is it? Not human induced? If you believe that, you have your eyes closed.
Sure it is human induced (the decline), so is climate change. It is all done by engineering the problems to draw attention to it all. It is a manipulation, to control everyone on the face of this planet. I have posted patents of devices used to manipulate the weather / slash, climate. If you claim a major problem, then you do what you can to aggravate the problem then you are proven correct. Like if I say there is a pollution problem and no one BELIEVES me, then my next action would be to prove to them it does exist, by dumping all the garbage I possibly can, to prove what I said is true. Sorry but that is how the brain wash agenda works.

gruntguru
Pro
Pro

Post by gruntguru » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gunt
Pro
Pro

Post by gunt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 pm

even though i hate even keeping any talk of these alive see below , and we just out a cost on public charging , well its the same cost per mile as a diesel

https://dailycaller.com/2019/04/24/tesl ... e-mercedes