So electric may just be a passing fad again

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: So electric may just be a passing fad again

Post by Kevin Johnson »

You might enjoy some of Thunderf00t's videos on various and sundry topics.

Zb: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb8hO ... a8cilis88A
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Its all so much bollax , people are sheep and very easy to herd into the pen , here in Europe everyone was told diesel was the way forward , tax incentives the works , they all bought now they say no its petrol , now its electric , i have a commercial building cannot get 3 phase power on a main road , no houses will have or can get it , then the cost of the fast charge unit is 2ooo euro , if you can get the connection.
Scotland has the city buses on hydrogen , it is the way forward
I pulled all the emissions out of a fresh diesel which was doing 42mpg and spent a bit of time on a setting it up , the customer is now running 72mpg at motorway speeds , how does fuel consumption aid a greener planet it we have to dig more out of the ground refine more , ship and haul more to burn it faster
there is a small tech bit of info , if every car van truck that remains on earth was started the emissions would only equal the largest 15 ships in the world ! ,
ships could still use a form of sails to aim in the movement , and as of 20yrs ago it was proven to save 15% of fuel , but they couldn't be bothered
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

gunt wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:58 pm if every car van truck that remains on earth was started the emissions would only equal the largest 15 ships in the world ! ,
Whom, never heard this before but sounds interesting.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 am You might enjoy some of Thunderf00t's videos on various and sundry topics.

Zb: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmb8hO ... a8cilis88A
That is a cool web site!

Where did the last couple of hours go?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

There is a great saying that says:

"When you are ignorant of facts and do not have good accurate knowledge on a subject, be careful not to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Individuals who are now saying or even thinking that electric vehicles are a fad -They have opened their mouths way to wide!! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

ok so i might as well open it some more ,
there was a tv programme that went through the hole lot , and tesla is the worst offender , as in from concept to end of life recycling no other car on the planet including any other hybrid's or full electric come close to the pollution it will produce , when this is all viewed the project should never have got off the ground , but large tax incentives / grants and governments want to look like there supporting this aided in it launch . also I thought a lot of you guys would be quoting this , that from concept to recycling the ford wrangler jeep v8 was the least pollutant in its life [ as of a few years ago , something could have surpassed it since ] It has been widely accepted that oil wells are filling up again , there fore this is not a fossle fuel and will shortly no longer be able to be taxed so , and as any good government tax men they are ahead of the curve , they will no longer be able to tax the imput of fuel so they will tax the out let of the CO2.
Now imagine you are a manufacture , you can get / obtain large tax reliefs from development in thew green energy ! so would you pay the tax or reinvest in your company and play around a little see where it goes . also her in Europe the manufacture is liable for end of life the cost is to them , In Ireland and the UK hybrids and full electric are subsidized , some to the tune of 40% , so if they were at full cost this would be going no where , and this subsidize is paid for by all unknown to them , and to add insult to injury a guy buys one for commercial use as a taxi , subsidized , gets free parking in the city , has free charge points , as this is done to to help push them

Did any one see the guys that are pulling CO2 out from the atmosphere and converting it to fuel , same cost per liter that we currently pay ,

if china were compelled to abide by the same emission laws none of these batteries could be manufactured , that really says it all .
But Limerick collage have developed a battery from natural materials that can be just thrown in the compost at end of life , is surpasses all but the charge time is still the issue , but it looks very promising , on the grounds of something new like these , it could have a future ,

to put this into perspective , the EU will be fining Ireland 600m a year for old heavy emission car in 2020 , so the government have been letting insurance companies and the testing centers remove them for them , you cannot buy a car 15yrs old here and get insurance , 10yrs is very hard and if you car is getting old the insurance company is writing out to the to tell them they will be loaded for the age of the car .

pollution is massive business, our local cement factory applied for an insinuator licensee planning the lot, they were granted all few years later they now burn all medical waste , 60m a year, no money in concrete like than , wonder who was ahead of their time getting planning and shares
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Disposal of EV vehicle batteries will and already are big problems for end of life disposal as are all current lithium batteries. The good news is all the major EV vehicle and EV battery manufactures are in process developing rebuilding and reuse of these large battery assemblies. The actual assemblies and their construction and incorporate very special mountings and cooling systems for the battery packs and just throwing them away at end of life is not going to be economically viable. They are also working on new battery compounds that can remixed to restore their chemical properties to a point where the battery packs of the near future and beyond are being hinted at 10-20 year lives. As I always say, "necessity is the mother of invention" so the industry will solve this issue in pretty short order as environmental laws and restrictions in today's world make that a must!

Good interesting short read from a hydrogen fuel expert. Google - Clean Technica by Michael Barnard dated April 26, 2019 about the real cost and problems of hydrogen fuel use in vehicles.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

so in the interim of the 10-20 yrs these are gona out pollute all current ICE car by epic proportions , on another note they said that driver less cars were coming , I was on a talk lately where that is now accepted that it will never happen by all manufactures , [ due to a plane crash ] but if hands were forced and from concept to end of life was looked at , electric car would stop dead , so if one plane crash ended it all , lots could end this
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

gunt wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:05 pm ... so if one plane crash ended it all , lots could end this
Unfortunately, objective discourse is being abandoned for ideologically based narratives.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

As I said I believe as many others that EV's will outnumber IC vehicles by 2030 not 2040 and I think the ratio will be close to 70/30 by then.

Gunt, there are many like your self who will stay in an IC vehicle until they put you in a box and throw dirt on top of you. So be it. If you have a lot of people at your funeral, I suspect most of them will have driven there in their EV's. :lol:
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

well the title is , electric may just be a passing fad , i'm just trowing factual arguments out there , until something factual comes to show me better less pollutant way of making the batteries and disposing of them , along with far better millage , as with the ones I fix there lasting roughly around 150000miles at a cost of 4500 euro for the battery , where as the ICE car will in no way incur such a cost at such low mileage , go back and re look at the ICE , only for CO2 rules they were heading in the right direction , just look at the Mitsubishi GDI , and when it first came out , it could run 55-1 lean in general all other direct injection engines are only making 34-1 at the moment , , the electric is nice , but as I said I can't even get 3 phase for my workshop so the chances of anyone getting it in their house to charge a car within a 8 mile radius , at a cost of 55k euro to just install the 3 phase , also there is such theft of the batteries currently in certain areas the insurance companies want a separate insurance cover , the list goes on

but yes i love my engines , and if the bring me in the box in an electric herse i will haunt them :D and one of my guys here has a take on one of the Saudi's price's statements from years bk , that his father rode on camels and his sons may too but while he was here he would drive the biggest gas gusslers , but as my guy says he is gona make as much power as he can burn as much tyres and fuel as he can in his life , i don't generally agree but he is young
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

There is a claim that the SULFUR DIOXIDE emissions of the 15 largest ships exceeds that of all cars in the world. Even if that claim is true, it is only because ships run on rubbish fuel that contains LOTS OF SULFUR.

In terms of total NOXIOUS emissions (as implied) the claim is total bollocks.

In terms of CO2 emissions, the claim is even bigger bollocks! Marine energy consumption is about 2% of all fossil fuel energy and about 10% of transportation energy (45% for passenger cars). (CO2 emissions reasonable approximate energy consumption for hydrocarbon fuels) So every ship on earth combined totals less than 1/4 of the emissions of all passenger cars.

The claims about EVs and Tesla are also bollocks. Where is the link to this TV program?
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

And in any cases ... a claim about EVs indirectly having CO2 emissions is an argument for cleaning up the energy sources for the grid (already in process), and a claim about EVs being associated with whatever environmental disasters are associated with mining and batteries being unrecyclable is an argument for implementing recycling programs for batteries (in the works) and lifting economically distressed areas associated with mining up so that they can afford proper environmental protection. We, collectively, as a society, have to move forwards, not backwards.

Recycling lithium batteries hasn't been economically viable in the past because there were so few of them out there. That's changing.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

gruntguru wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:37 am There is a claim that the SULFUR DIOXIDE emissions of the 15 largest ships exceeds that of all cars in the world. Even if that claim is true, it is only because ships run on rubbish fuel that contains LOTS OF SULFUR.

In terms of CO2 emissions, the claim is even bigger bollocks! Marine energy consumption is about 2% of all fossil fuel energy and about 10% of transportation energy (45% for passenger cars). (CO2 emissions reasonable approximate energy consumption for hydrocarbon fuels) So every ship on earth combined totals less than 1/4 of the emissions of all passenger cars.

The claims about EVs and Tesla are also bollocks. Where is the link to this TV program?
not really so far off, but what needs to be considered is those ships run those engines 24/7 for probably 300+ days a year. compare that to how little each actual car runs. now if each car ran the same amount of hours each year, yeah the figures would be pure trash, but they dont, so.....
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

lefty o wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:27 pm
gruntguru wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:37 am There is a claim that the SULFUR DIOXIDE emissions of the 15 largest ships exceeds that of all cars in the world. Even if that claim is true, it is only because ships run on rubbish fuel that contains LOTS OF SULFUR.

not really so far off, but what needs to be considered is those ships run those engines 24/7 for probably 300+ days a year. compare that to how little each actual car runs. now if each car ran the same amount of hours each year, yeah the figures would be pure trash, but they dont, so.....
The numbers I posted are based on "fuel used" in each category so the duty cycle of ships vs cars has been accounted for.