Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

gruntguru
Guru
Guru
Re: So electric may just be a passing fad again

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:24 am
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:12 am Glad you took the time to read the Wikipedia page - pity you chose to cherry pick it rather than learn anything. You asked this question: . . . .
They've been fighting the range problem for about 170 years. How many engineers over all that time have been trying to figure it out?"
and I answered it. If you look at the graph a rational person might conclude that the "range problem" is close to being solved. For 99% of journeys the range problem is already solved.

The real problem is price. The lifetime cost of EV's is still not competitive with fossil fuelled vehicles but that is changing rapidly.
The range problem is far from being solved..
Look at the graph I posted. the trend is obvious.

You have no clue.. you proved that when you said you don't want to be an early adopter. Your like a lot of people who think this electric car thing is new.

I'm driving up north tomorrow,, gotta use the a/c therevand back,,,it's a 5 hour drive. Sometimes 6 or more hours of the traffic is bad.

You think a tesla would make it? Where are the fast charging stations?
So an EV doesn't meet your needs? Don't buy one. As I said, todays EV's will cope with 99% of journeys, in fact probably the full day's travel in 99% of cases. Case in point, I probably travel more miles than most - 80 km round-trip commute on work days, 300 km round trip to visit family some weekends. Can't remember the last time I drove far enough in a day to bother something like a Model 3 Tesla for example. There are three cars in my household and two drivers. We could easily cope even if two of those were EV's and even if their range was only 100 km. The third car could do any long trips required. Point is 90% of the vehicle fleet around the world could be replaced with 200 km-range-EV's tomorrow without a problem.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am
gmrocket wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:06 amWhen you say we are destroying the environment, how does an electric car get its power? Would that be from a power plant using fossil fuel?
You are obviously talking about CO2 emissions which are lower for EV's - even when running on 100% coal-fired electricity. Of course very few places sell that kind of electricity and the % of coal generation is only going to reduce.

I said "we were destroying the environment" note the past tense. Global warming was not "destroying the environment" back then and even now is only starting to do actual damage. We have been "destroying the environment" since the industrial revolution and noxious emissions from vehicles have contributed in a general way as well as directly by shortening millions of human lives.
Oh jeeez, you a climate alarmist too?
There is no such thing. Only in the minds of the ignorant or ill-informed.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

GRTfast wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:25 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:22 pm
GRTfast wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:52 am

Low carbon footprint? Oh jeeez, you a climate alarmist too? :lol:

I drive a full sized pickup (v6, direct injected, 23 mpg).. no real options for that in an EV yet. The wife is almost due for a new vehicle. We are seriously considering a Model 3.
Let us know when you get the model 3,,,or not.

It's a big commitment...you have to be able to tell lies about how wonderful it is and all that 😜

Keep us informed
I drove a p75D a while back, it was awesome. The guy who owns it loves it, and doesn't have any complaints thus far.
Should sell your pickup and get that tesla then,, what ya waiting for?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:21 am You are obviously talking about CO2 emissions which are lower for EV's - even when running on 100% coal-fired electricity. Of course very few places sell that kind of electricity and the % of coal generation is only going to reduce.

I said "we were destroying the environment" note the past tense. Global warming was not "destroying the environment" back then and even now is only starting to do actual damage. We have been "destroying the environment" since the industrial revolution and noxious emissions from vehicles have contributed in a general way as well as directly by shortening millions of human lives.
Oh jeeez, you a climate alarmist too?
From the guy who says we are destroying the planet 🤡
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:28 pm
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am Oh jeeez, you a climate alarmist too?
. . and anyone who disagrees is ignorant or ill-informed.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:30 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:28 pm
gruntguru wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:12 pm There is no such thing. Only in the minds of the ignorant or ill-informed.
. . and anyone who disagrees is ignorant or ill-informed.
So tell us what your doing to help out?

Like I said before,, I'll bet my carbon footprint is a fraction of yours..

All talk? Or is it everyone else who should walk the walk?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

ad hominem deflection?

Go back and read my posts. You won't find one where I tell folk what they should be doing. They make the case for an EV future (or some other low emission technology should it appear).

Individuals can make a difference but global issues require action at the highest levels. The majority of people, although prepared to make sacrifices for the common good, are motivated primarily by self interest and are more likely to make those sacrifices when they feel the majority moving with them.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

I don't give a s**t about my carbon footprint. All I need to do is convince two people to reduce theirs!
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

gruntguru wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 pm I don't give a s**t about my carbon footprint. All I need to do is convince two people to reduce theirs!
:lol:
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gruntguru wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:02 pm I don't give a s**t about my carbon footprint. All I need to do is convince two people to reduce theirs!
Oh man, that's beautiful......the pure meaning of a hypocrite. You would fit right in with the lefties and their green new deal here... tour the country telling everyone had bad they are.

Rant and rave at others and how uninformed and dumb they are about not knowing they are destroying the planet!!!

By your response in who here drives an EV/Hybrid I know your type...all the excuses in the world as too why your not jumping on board the electric vehicle train, as a fanboy of them, while spewing CO like the best of them,, doing your big part to "destroy " the planet

I'll bet in 2030 when the world ends like the lefties are saying,, you'll proudly blame everyone but yourself for NOT doing what they should have done...such bad people they are
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

:notworthy:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I definitely do not believe electric vehicles are a passing fad. Processes that are more efficient than those currently in use tend to get expanded and improved and as long as they are more efficient in their improved state. these processes tend to stick around and don't become fads. Electric motors powering vehicles at this point and on into the foreseeable are the most efficient and hence will be around a long time until some other motive power replaces them. JMHO
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
ZIGGY
Guru
Guru

Post by ZIGGY »

I believe Shell Oil Products U.S. says fuel cells will be the ultimate solution, but being in the fuel business they would say that, wouldn't they.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

gruntguru wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 pm :notworthy:
Thank you sir

I hope you learned something...I won't charge you for my time .
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

gmrocket wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 pm
gruntguru wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:23 pm :notworthy:
Thank you sir
I hope you learned something...I won't charge you for my time .
I learned a great deal. . . I'm glad you're not going to charge me.