We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 8512
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:04 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm
And in the end of it all, the battery's will all be recharged using diesel and coal.
:-$

peejay
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1915
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:16 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by peejay » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 pm

exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm
And in the end of it all, the battery's will all be recharged using diesel and coal.
Not around here it doesn't. We split atoms to make steam.

Image

It's interesting that natural gas is going up. I assume this is because we're using more of it instead of just flaring it off because it was too expensive to store and transport.

Note this is the US, this is not Europe, where there are a lot more renewables.

edited with a chart that extends beyond 2016

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9223
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by pdq67 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm

I want to say that I read somewhere a time ago of people that had not seen dark nights for a long time because of the constant flaring off of Nat'l Gas in their country.

I want to say someplace in Africa. It finally got cost effective to catch the stuff and sell it is what happened so their nights turned dark again..

pdq67

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Posts: 8512
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:41 am
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:05 pm

pdq67 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm
I want to say that I read somewhere a time ago of people that had not seen dark nights for a long time because of the constant flaring off of Nat'l Gas in their country.

I want to say someplace in Africa. It finally got cost effective to catch the stuff and sell it is what happened so their nights turned dark again..

pdq67
https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/162 ... rians.html

gruntguru
Expert
Expert
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:56 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by gruntguru » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:18 am

peejay wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:07 pm
exhaustgases wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:54 pm
And in the end of it all, the battery's will all be recharged using diesel and coal.
It's interesting that natural gas is going up. I assume this is because we're using more of it instead of just flaring it off because it was too expensive to store and transport.
I think that is more to do with replacing coal (to reduce carbon emissions) and the increase in gas availability created by advanced fracking techniques and increased exploitation of coal-seam gas.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9223
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by pdq67 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:48 pm

I think it was Nigeria..

pdq67

j-c-c
Guru
Guru
Posts: 6315
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:03 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by j-c-c » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Rick! wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:08 pm
PackardV8 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:06 pm
BEVs also excel at stop-and-go. The driver not having to clutch and shift his way down I-95 would be a wonderful thing. Every watch a fully-grossed class 8 truck in heavy rush hour traffic? The stress on the frame and running gear every time it pulls from a stop? Electric motors replacing the rear axles would make the process smoother and less work for the driver and no stressed clutch, gearbox, driveshaft and differential.
It's still a Class 8 rig at 80k lbs so something is going to feel some stress. My bet is the tires as there are no breakthroughs in rubber tires coming down the pike.

.
I'm with "Packard" on his observation, kinda like the difference in moving something with a hammer vs a hydraulic jack, the force needed effectively is the same, but the time component sure changes the instantaneous stress seen on the components

68maliblue
New Member
New Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:25 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by 68maliblue » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm

The amount of current tech battery capacity required to move a semi truck for 8 hrs. will be extremely heavy. That will take away from load carrying capacity because current on-highway regulations limit Class 8 to 80k lb. Unless you are hauling a trailer load of empty cans to a cannery it doesn't make sense. Most trucking operations are minimizing weight any way they can to maximize freight capacity. There is no way the average fleet operator is going take a 10-15k lb hit on freight capacity. Until battery tech provides a lighter option class 8 adoption will be very limited.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 9223
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm
Location:

Re: Freightliner (Daimler) predicts end of diesels in big trucks,,!

Post by pdq67 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:18 pm

68maliblue wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:36 pm
The amount of current tech battery capacity required to move a semi truck for 8 hrs. will be extremely heavy. That will take away from load carrying capacity because current on-highway regulations limit Class 8 to 80k lb. Unless you are hauling a trailer load of empty cans to a cannery it doesn't make sense. Most trucking operations are minimizing weight any way they can to maximize freight capacity. There is no way the average fleet operator is going take a 10-15k lb hit on freight capacity. Until battery tech provides a lighter option class 8 adoption will be very limited.
He, He!!

People need to look at the pile of empty beverage cans being recycled at ALCOA, Alcoa, TN's Can Rec. Plant.

It's been years, but the last time I was there, they used a big Cat. dozer to push them up into a pile as the trucks continued to bring them in and dump them. I looked up and up and up!!!

Watching them being melted was like watching a great big toilet filled with molten aluminum constantly flushing as their, " delacquered", pieces constantly dropped in!! The melting furnace was as big as a 3-car garage and held like 4' or deeper of molten aluminum.

Right, a light load fit for battery operated semi's!!

pdq67

Post Reply