Lithium Ion Batteries

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Lithium Ion Batteries

Post by FC-Pilot »

I hate to say it and sound negative about it, but regardless of all their negatives these cars are our society’s future. They are the fun buzzz word politically and with young kids coming out of high school and college. I spent the last four years at the Toyota proving grounds and like it or not it is our future. I saw/see so many issues that I hate them, yet I know I can’t fight the system. I just hope we can keep some of our old relics.

Twenty years ago a friend of ours (a welder repairman) ran an electric dragster at the same strip we did. He had the fastest electric dragster in the world. He had big companies from all over the world bring their stuff to run against his car,and they all lost miserably. He would just say it was all in the batteries. Well his battery supplier got bought out by one of the big company teams he embarrassed and he lost access to the batteries, and then lost his title. Much has changed in 20 years now.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Lithium batteries can be dangerous and we all need to be careful of how they are handled , charged, stored and disposed of. However for now BILLIONS of lithium batteries are in use throughout the world everyday at every hour in thousands of uses and supplying their power and being recharged and stored and handled safely without incidents or damage. As a percentage these YouTube internet wow cases are such a small teeny tiny percentage of failures the number is about point something to the minus 5 power and should not have all us battery users running for the door with our hair on fire!

There is new battery compound technology development is in place already and I suspect that new batteries will come to market pretty quickly and I suspect one of the things they are working for is better energy density and less hazardous material make-up. The sky is not falling! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

Newold1 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm As a percentage these YouTube internet wow cases are such a small teeny tiny percentage of failures the number is about point something to the minus 5 power and should not have all us battery users running for the door with our hair on fire!
Yup, they're newer and less familiar in large sizes (like car size) so it's easier to get the scare mongering going and get people riled up to get your VIEWS (which is all these people really want, they don't give a #$%^ about the outcome).

Most of us drive around with gallons of volatile, potentially explosive gas right next to us. We just don't question it because we're normalized to it. It doesn't spontaneously combust or just "explode" just because it happens to be potentially scary, but neither do Lithium Ion batteries.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

exhaustgases wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 am Pic your favorite video and learn how safe they are not.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +ion+fires

Maybe the safe electric cars will be like the old electric trains and ride on a track, oh and that would fix the self driving features and make that safe as well.
We get it, things newer than 1970 scare you.