New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a short while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

I think I'm leaking?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
HotPass
HotPass

I think I'm leaking?

Post by gmrocket » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:40 pm

But I don't see anything on the ground? Over night or when I leave my hybrid parked for any period of time...I lose some distance?

Extreme cold it's worse, and extreme heat it's ever more worse...

Sometimes I go out in the middle of the night to see if someone is symphoning my electrons out while I'm sleeping...nope

Where am I losing it?

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Re: I think I'm leaking?

Post by Newold1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:10 pm

I am by far not a lithium battery pack expert or knowledgable in related charging and cooling systems, but I suspect that some thing is amiss either with the charging system, the battery cooling system or the batteries themselves. I would consult a knowledgeable shop or technician that services these items as I am sure this happens in many EV's and hybrids that act up. THERE ARE NO PERFECT CARS-ELECTRIC OR IC ENGINED :roll: !!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:

Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 pm

Would help to know make/model/year and how this apparent "loss of distance" is making itself known. Some EVs have battery temperature regulating systems that are active even when the "engine" is "off" in the interest of having the battery already in the optimum temperature range when you hop in the car and want to go. Others have no battery temperature regulation at all and the battery may have less useful capacity when outside of its best operating temperature range. It is also entirely possible that the battery capacity is exactly the same, but real-world range is being lost due to heavier HVAC usage in very cold or very hot ambient temperature.

lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 pm

radical electrons, and they have escaped. :lol:

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:07 am

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Without the year, model and percentage of loss, none here has enough info to really contribute.

Batteries are dynamic systems. They vary with temperature.

The dashboard readouts are random number generators. Some base the charge/range on the last driving cycle and temperatures during that drive. Some read actual charge and estimate on algorithms. Never assume them to be accurate.

And yes, some battery conditioning systems operate without you.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:39 pm

If after 2 weeks your electrons start filling up seek out the local guy that used to own a VW. He is getting his revenge.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."