We are currently running on the new domain and server: www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

BTZ201

Re: Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Post by BTZ201 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm

My daily commute is about 90 miles. I drive a 2015 bmw i3 with range extender. It serves its purpose ok. My workplace has a couple charging stations I am able to use.
However I would not recommend it as a commuter. Windy days can be dangerous, I have been blown into a completely different lane on the freeway.

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 pm

BTZ201 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm
My daily commute is about 90 miles. I drive a 2015 bmw i3 with range extender. It serves its purpose ok. My workplace has a couple charging stations I am able to use.
However I would not recommend it as a commuter. Windy days can be dangerous, I have been blown into a completely different lane on the freeway.
Interesting. I put a lot of seat time in an i3 without range extender and never noticed any crosswind sensitivity. Wonder if the COG/COP is radically different?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering

Monzsta

Post by Monzsta » Wed May 06, 2020 6:40 am

I've got a '13 Volt. Little known secret, you can get into the PCM with HPTuners and rummage around a bit. I've remapped the pedal so all drive modes are like sport, and removed some of te torque limiters so when the engine is running it's a lot faster than stock. Sadly you can't get into the hybrid control module, where the settings for the electric side is. I even looked into swapping a HCM from a '16 Caddilac ELR, which has the same powertrain, just turned up for more performance. Volt is 157/295 hp/tq, ELR is 233/373. That's built in performance, but GM doesn't allow this due to their "Global A" archetecture.

gruntguru
Expert
Expert

Post by gruntguru » Wed May 06, 2020 7:09 pm

BTZ201 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm
Some tinkering with wheel alignment (toe front in, rear out a little, rear camber -> neg, front -> pos) and tyre pressures (increase rear, reduce front) might help.