Speed-Talk is running on www.Speed-Talk.com

IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/
(Right-click the URL and select "Bookmark this link")

Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Anything to do with the electric or hybrid world

Moderator: Team

Monzsta
Re: Who here actually drives an EV/HYBRID?

Post by Monzsta »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:48 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:21 pm Holy cow... I heard some people who buy them are a little off the wall.
From the other perspective, how off-the-wall are those who spend their life dreaming and scheming to get a few more horsepower out of an obsolete design sixty-five-year-old Chevrolet V8? I know guys still living in parent's basements to save money to build one. Can't count the divorces I've seen over the years, "You love workin' on them damn motors more than you love me. I'm outta here."
Ssshhh! You're going to ruin our easy out! :P
Monzsta

Post by Monzsta »

gmrocket wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:46 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:03 pm
Chris_Hamilton wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:30 pm Pure EV vehicles still only have limited range, especially in real world driving and the time required to recharge them makes taking any sort of long trip in one, untenable to me. Not to mention the lack of true infrastructure for re-charging. Many of you may disagree but they are still a Eco Pipedream IMO.
Chris, what may be untenable to you is just you; that BEVs are not long trip cars is a straw-man argument. The typical US driver goes 29.2 miles a day. Currently available BEVs are perfectly suited to 99.9% of US daily driving. Only .1% of US POV daily driving exceeds the 250-mile range of the Bolt and Tesla.

For the few trips a year longer than 250 miles per day, rent an ICE.
Ooooh, 29.2 mile per day,, that’s just awesome 😂

Be honest, is it your only vehicle or could it be?

I do that 29.2 before 10am...and I drive a hybrid.

They are for city short commutes only, if you want to run the a/c or heat to be comfortable...cut that 29.2 down when stuck in traffic..

They are very very rarely your only vehicle...so, now you have two vehicles polluting the landscape...

If you live in the inner city, do a specific route each day, less the than the vehicles max range..and it’s not hilly , or really hot, or really cold, or you don’t need to pick up a piece of wood, or a few passengers, or go off your course because you descided to do something crazy like..visit a friend out of the 29.2 range...

They are PERFECT 👌
I have a 36 mile commute. With my Volt I can make it in on battery if I drive it easy. They let me charge at work, so it's a free ride home. The 1st gen Volt typically will go 40-50 miles on the battery, depending on the driver. Driving like a nut and going 80+? I can wipe the battery out in 25 miles. Pittering along on 45-50 mph roads? Easy 50+ miles. I go months between fill ups at times.

The Volt's advantage is it's not game over when the battery runs out. It just turns on the engine and runs in series hybrid mode, a bit like a locomotive. In gas mode I get around 40 mpg at the speed limits. I pulled off a 2 day dash from NC to NM really pushing it and averaged 34 mpg. My speeds were well over 80 most of the time. There are people who own Volts that never plug them in, but you're not using the car's full potential that way.

The Malibu hybrids use the gen 2 Volt powertrain, (smaller hybrid only battery) but beat out both gen Volts with 57+ mpg, in a larger sedan.
54chevkiwi
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 54chevkiwi »

I have a 2007 prius ... im 37, a journeyman cnc machinist in a modern mazak shop and STILL not paid enough to afford the gas bill of a car that runs on gas full time.....nor enough to afford a new car note lol

Costs me about $15 a week to run to work and back, 20 miles each way, 4 days a week on a 4-10s schedule.

Absolutely notice a difference in the GFs gas car..
Theres definately a tecnique to driving a prius and keeping your foot out of it, or that gas bill sky rockets with no power to go with it!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Electric cars are nothing more than a piece of shit, a dumb idea.
gruntguru
Expert
Expert

Post by gruntguru »

A soundly reasoned case. Well put sir!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Thank you.
gruntguru
Expert
Expert

Post by gruntguru »

You're welcome!

I am sure all here are equally convinced by the facts you have quoted and the sound logic used to reach your conclusion.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Heard on the news here [ Australia ] recently that Calif wants ALL cars to be electric by 2035. Do you guys think this will happen?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

gruntguru wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:32 pm You're welcome!

I am sure all here are equally convinced by the facts you have quoted and the sound logic used to reach your conclusion.
I'm sure.